Way back at the beginning of the Kansas City Chiefs 2013 NFL season, they worked out a linebacker named Alonzo Highsmith Jr. The Chiefs didn't sign him back then but they did sign him this week. According to the KC Star's Terez Paylor, the Chiefs inked Highsmith to a reserve / futures contract.
Highsmith Jr. is an interesting signing because of who is father is -- Green Bay Packers personnel executive Alonzo Highsmith. That's the same personnel executive who KC Chiefs GM John Dorsey used to work with in Green Bay. It's also the same guy who was in The U, that great documentary on the Miami Hurricanes.
Highsmith Jr. played at Arkansas and went undrafted last April. He signed a deal with the Miami Dolphins but was cut during training camp.
He joins a list of other Chiefs who have signed reserve / future contracts recently, including running back Joe McKnight, linebacker Jordan Campbell, cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, defensive tackle Dominique Hamilton, offensive tackle R.J. Dill, defensive back Jerron McMillian and defense end Brandon Moore.
The Chiefs also worked out a couple more free agents this week.
- Chiefs 2014 schedule is a doozy: Here's how they can win with it
- The best Dwayne Bowe quotes from his recent radio interview
- Chiefs work out more free agents
- Chiefs TV ratings skyrocket in the 2013 NFL season
- Dwayne Bowe worried about breaking his foot on final play of Chiefs playoff loss
- Chiefs QB review: Alex Smith is the future, but what about Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray?
- Chiefs over / unders: The final numbers
- Arrowheadlines: Chiefs news 1/15