Great question last night on Amateur Hour, the new podcast of Arrowhead Pride. (To listen, click here.)
Finish these two statements for me:
The Chiefs will make the playoffs if...
They among the league low in turnovers.The Chiefs weren't 2-14 bad last season but they weren't 10-win good either. Their turnovers were amazingly bad. The Chiefs are going to win several more games this season just based on those fluky turnover stats coming back to earth as they always do.
If Alex Smith protects the football despite (presumably) throwing a career-high number of passes, the Chiefs are going to be at least a seven to nine win, middle of the road team.
The Chiefs will miss the playoffs if...
I can go with a few different answers here. Basically it comes down to whether a star player gets hurt. Three of these injuries would be to Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles or Dwayne Bowe. If one of those guys is hurt or completely ineffective for whatever reason, the Chiefs will not make the playoffs. They can't compete without all three of those guys playing well.
More from Arrowhead Pride:
- Amateur Hour: 2013 Kansas City Chiefs Preview
- Brandon Flowers restructures contract, Kansas City Chiefs get more salary cap space
- Kansas City Chiefs first injury report of the season coming Wednesday
- Arrowheadlines: Kansas City Chiefs News 9/4
- More KC Chiefs roster moves: Bradley McDougald is back, Sanders Commings to designated IR