Typically two teams facing each other have a long line of former players who come from the other team. Surprisingly, the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Giants have exactly one player who has played for both: Steve Weatherford. Yes, Steve Weatherford is your primarily connection, ladies and gentlemen.
In case you've somehow forgotten Weatherford's tenure with the Chiefs, here's the timeline. He was claimed on waivers on October 22, 2008. He was released on November 4, 2008. If you bought a Weatherford Chiefs jersey during that time, please tell us because that would be amazing.
As for the rest of the Chiefs-Giants connections, check them out below. As always, thanks to the Chiefs PR staff for making this list available each week.
• Kansas City Defensive Line Coach Tommy Brasher (1985, 1999-2005, 2012) served in the same capacity in Philadelphia while New York Head Coach Tom Coughlin (1984-85) held the position of wide receivers coach.
• Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey (1984-88) was on Green Bay's roster as a linebacker during the time that Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin (1986-87) served as wide receivers coach.
• New York Head Coach Tom Coughlin (1994-2002), Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride (1995-96), Running Backs Coach Jerald Ingram (1994- 02) and Strength and Conditioning Coach Jerry Palmieri (1995-02) held the same titles at Jacksonville while Chiefs Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung (1995) was on the roster as an offensive lineman.
• Kansas City Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub (2004-12) and Director of Player Personnel Chris Ballard (2001-12) spent time in Chicago while New York Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell (2005) was a secondary coach and Offensive Line Coach Pat Flaherty (2001-03) served as a tight ends coach. Toub held the same position while Ballard was a southwest area scout and later named director of pro scouting. Giants CB Trumaine McBride was also part of the Bears roster from 2007-09.
• Giants Linebackers Coach Jim Herrmann (2006-08), Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Markus Paul (2005-06) and Secondary/Safeties Coach David Merritt, Sr. (2001-03) spent time with the New York Jets while Chiefs DL Mike DeVito (2007-12), Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (2008-09) and Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton (2000-12) were part of the organization. Herrmann held the same title, Paul was both director of physical development and strength and conditioning coach, Merritt was listed as a defensive assistant/linebackers coach, Sutton held the titles of defensive coordinator and senior defensive assistant/linebackers coach and O'Dea held the same position. Giants Assistant Special Teams Coach Larry Izzo (2009) and P Steve Weatherford (2009-10) were also part of the Jets organization.
• Chiefs Director of College Scouting Marvin Allen (1996-2008) spent time in New England's personnel department while New York Assistant Special Teams Coach Larry Izzo (2001-08) was on the roster as a linebacker and Tight Ends Coach Michael Pope (1994-96) was on the coaching staff as a running backs/tight ends coach.
• New York Defensive Line Coach Robert Nunn (2005-08) and DT Cullen Jenkins (2003-10) spent time in Green Bay with Chiefs: General Manager John Dorsey (2000-12), Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin (1999-2005), Assistant Secondary Coach Al Harris (2003-09) DT Anthony Toribio (2008-09), LB Frank Zombo (2010-12) and Player Personnel Assistant Dan Zegers (2004-12). Nunn held the title of defensive tackles coach, Dorsey held various positions including director of college scouting and director of football operations, Rubin served in the same capacity, Harris was on the roster as a cornerback and Zegers served as an equipment/scouting assistant.
• Giants C David Baas (2005-10) and RB Brandon Jacobs (2012) were on San Francisco's roster with Chiefs QB Alex Smith (2005-12).
• Chiefs Director of Pro Scouting Will Lewis (1999-2011), DT Jaye Howard (2012) and CB Ron Parker (2011-12) spent time in Seattle with New York LB Allen Bradford (2011-12). Lewis served as director of pro personnel and vice president of football operations. Giants K Josh Brown (2003-07) was also on the Seahawks roster while Lewis was part of the organization.
• New York DT Cullen Jenkins (2011-12) and DT Mike Patterson (2005- 12) spent time in Philadelphia with members of the Chiefs: Head Coach Andy Reid (1999-2012), Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley (1999-2012), Offensive Coordinator Doug Pederson (2009- 12), Tight Ends Coach Tom Melvin (1999-2012), Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung (2010-12), Quality Control Coach Corey Matthaei (2008-12), LB Akeem Jordan (2007-12), Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin (2008-12), Quarterbacks Coach Matt Nagy (2010- 12), Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Travis Crittenden (2012), Defensive Line Coach Tommy Brasher (2012) and Statistical Analysis Coordinator Mike Frazier (2003-12).
• Kansas City Offensive Line Coach Andy Heck (2004-12) served in the same role in Jacksonville while Giants CB Trumaine McBride (2011), CB
Aaron Ross (2012) and P Steve Weatherford (2008) were on the roster. • Chiefs CB Ron Parker and New York WR Louis Murphy, Jr. played
together in Carolina for the 2012 season.
• Giants DT Shaun Rogers (2001-07) spent time on Detroit's roster while Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (2002-03) held the same position.
• Chiefs Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken (1999-2009) served as Cleveland's Salary Cap Coordinator and Director of Football Administration among other roles while New York DT Shaun Rogers (2008- 11) was on the roster.
• Kansas City QB Chase Daniel (2009-12) and Giants DT Shaun Rogers (2011) played together in New Orleans.
• New York S Antrel Rolle (2005-09) spent one season at Arizona with Kansas City Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (2004-05) when he held the title of special teams coordinator.
• New York Secondary/Cornerbacks Coach Peter Giunta spent 2001-05 in Kansas City as a defensive backs coach.
• New York P Steve Weatherford spent the 2008 season as a part of the Chiefs squad.
• Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin (1974-80) and Chiefs Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton (1974) spent time with one another on the coaching staff at Syracuse. Coughlin held the title of quarterbacks/offensive backfield coach while Sutton was listed as linebackers coach.
• New York Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell (1987, 1992-94) coached the defensive backs and defensive line at Army while Chiefs Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton (1983-99) served as defensive coordinator and later as head coach.
• Kansas City WR Dwayne Bowe (2003-06), DE Tyson Jackson (2004- 08) and Giants CB Corey Webster (2002-04) were on LSU's roster while New York Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Joe Danos (2005-06) served in the same capacity and Assistant Offensive Line Coach Lunda Wells (2008-11) served as an offensive line assistant and assistant special teams/assistant to the head coach.
• Chiefs C Rodney Hudson (2007-10) played for Florida State while Giants Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Joe Danos (2010-12) held the same title.
• Giants Wide Receivers Coach Kevin M. Gilbride (2007-09) served in the same capacity at Temple while Kansas City Defensive Quality Control Coach Britt Reid (2008-09) was on the roster.
• New York Secondary/Cornerbacks Coach Peter Giunta (1984-87) spent time as Brown's tight ends/wide receivers coach as well as offensive coordinator while Chiefs President Mark Donovan (1984-1987) was on the roster as quarterback. Donovan had a short stint with the Giants as a QB.
• Kansas City Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Travis Crittenden (2000-03) played tackle for Virginia Military Institute while Giants Secondary/ Safeties Coach David Merritt Sr. (1998-2000) was on the coaching staff as the defensive line coach.
• Chiefs DE Mike Catapano (2009-12) was on Princeton's roster while New York Offensive Assistant Coach Ryan Roeder (2010-12) was a tight ends coach.
• Chiefs FB Anthony Sherman (2007-10) spent time as a teammate in Connecticut with Giants T Will Beatty (2005-08).
• Kansas City WR Junior Hemingway (2007-12) played collegiately at Michigan with New York RB Michael Cox (2008-11).
• Giants DE Mathias Kiwanuka (2002-05) and G Chris Snee (2000-03) were college teammates at Boston College with Kansas City Area Scout Trey Koziol (2003-07) and Scouting Coordinator Ryan Poles (2003-07).
• New York DE Damontre Moore (2010-12) and Kansas City RB Cyrus Gray (2008-11) played together at Texas A&M.
• Chiefs DT Jaye Howard (2007-11), Giants WR Louis Murphy, Jr. (2005-08) and DE Justin Trattou (2007-10) all overlapped at Florida.
• Giants TE Brandon Myers (2005-08) played for Iowa while Chiefs Defensive Quality Control Coach Mark DeLeone (2007-08) served as a student assistant.
• Kansas City OL Geoff Schwartz (2004-08) and New York LB Spencer Pasysinger (2006-10) were college teammates at Oregon.
• Chiefs TE Travis Kelce (2008-12) played at Cincinnati with Giants TE Adrien Robinson (2008-11).
• New York CB Aaron Ross (2003-06) was teammates at Texas with Kansas City LB Derrick Johnson (2001-04) and RB Jamaal Charles (2005-07).
• Kansas City TE Anthony Fasano (2002-06) and Giants DE Justin Tuck (2001-04) played together at Notre Dame.
• Giants Strength and Conditioning Coach Jerry Palmieri spent the 1987- 92 seasons as Kansas State's director of strength and conditioning.
• Chiefs G Jeff Allen and New York T David Diehl are both natives of Chicago.
• New York LB Mark Herzlich is originally from Kirkwood, Mo.
• Kansas City RB Cyrus Gray and Giants DE Damontre Moore both grew
up in DeSoto, Texas, and attended Texas A&M simultaneously.
• Chiefs President Mark Donovan and New York S Ryan Mundy both call Pittsburgh, Pa., their home.
• Giants LB Spencer Pasysinger is a native of Los Angeles along with Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid and OL Geoff Schwartz.
• Kansas City Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs and Giants DT Shaun Rogers share the hometown of Houston, Texas.
• New York LB Jacquian Williams attended Fort Scott Community College in Fort Scott, Kan.
• Kansas City Defensive Quality Control Coach Mark DeLeone is a native of Syracuse, New York.
• Chiefs Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub is a native of Ossining, New York.
• Kansas City DE Mike Catapano calls Bayville, New York, his hometown. • Kansas City Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea coached
defensive backs at Cornell for the 1987 season.
• Chiefs Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton spent the 1974 season coaching linebackers at Syracuse.