Last week Chiefs backup quarterback Chase Daniel was the headliner of our connections post as he prepared to face the New Orleans Saints, his former team. This week it's the same situation with Alex Smith, who just eight months ago when playing for the San Francisco 49ers (well, maybe not playing but on the team...).
Let's take a look at all of the connections in Friday's 49ers-Chiefs game. (H/T Chiefs PR staff for the connections.)
• Chiefs LB Edgar Jones (2007-11) played in Baltimore for San Francisco Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio (2006-09) when he served as Special Assistant to the Head Coach/ Linebackers Coach and for San Francisco Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman (2006-07) during his tenure as Assistant Offensive Line Coach. 49ers NT Lamar Divens (2008-11) and Chiefs WR Terrance Copper (2008) were also on the Baltimore roster with Jones.
• San Francisco WR Charly Martin (2009-10) played alongside Chiefs OL Geoff Schwartz (2008-11) in Carolina.
• Kansas City Offensive Coordinator Doug Pederson (2000) was on Cleveland's roster as Quarterback during Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken's (1999-2009) tenure as Legal Counsel. MacCracken and Pederson spent time as Browns with several 49ers: Senior Offensive Consultant Eric Mangini (2009-10) during his tenure as Head Coach, Special Teams Assistant Tracy Smith (2009-10) during which time he held the same title, K Phil Dawson (1999-2012) and S Bubba Ventrone (2009-12). Chiefs Spread Game Analyst/Special Projects Coach Brad Childress (2012) served as Offensive Coordinator while Dawson, Ventrone and 49ers QB Colt McCoy (2010-12) were on the roster.
• Chiefs Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (2002-03) served on the Detroit coaching staff alongside 49ers Running Backs Coach Tom Rathman (2003-05), where they held the same titles.
• Kansas City CB Dunta Robinson (2004-09) played in Houston for 49ers Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio (2002-05) and Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman (2004-05). Fangio served in the same capacity for the Texans while Roman coached the quarterbacks.
• 49ers WR Charly Martin (2011), S Darcel McBath (2011) and WR Kassim Osgood (2010- 11) played in Jacksonville alongside Chiefs DE Austen Lane (2004-12) while Kansas City Offensive Line Coach Andy Heck (2004-12) coached in the same role.
• San Francisco WR Marlon Moore (2010-12) was on Miami's roster with Kansas City TE Anthony Fasano (2008-12) and CB Sean Smith (2009-12). Chiefs Assistant Secondary Coach Al Harris was both a teammate and coach in Miami with Moore, Fasano and Smith as he played cornerback in 2010 and served as a Coaching Intern in 2012.
• Chiefs Director of College Scouting Marvin Allen (1996-2008) was a part of the New England Personnel Department while 49ers Senior Offensive Consultant Eric Mangini (2000-05) was Defensive Backs Coach/Defensive Coordinator and S Bubba Ventrone (2005-08) was on the roster.
• 49ers C Jonathan Goodwin (2006-10) and Wide Receivers Coach John Morton (2006) spent time in New Orleans with Chiefs QB Chase Daniel (2009-12), WR Terrance Copper (2006-08) and Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (2006-08). Morton served as the Saints Passing Game Coordinator/Offensive Assistant while Gibbs held the Defensive Coordinator title.
• Chiefs Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton (2000-12), DL Mike DeVito (2007-12) and Assistant Special Teams Coach Kevin O'Dea (2008-09) spent time with the New York Jets with San Francisco C Jonathan Goodwin (2002-05), Secondary Coach Ed Donatell (2007), Senior Offensive Consultant Eric Mangini (2006-08) and General Manager Trent Baalke (1998-2001). Sutton spent his 13 seasons in New York as Linebackers Coach (2000-05), Defensive Coordinator (2006-08), Senior Defensive Assistant/Linebackers Coach (2009-11) and Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Coach (2012). O'Dea served as the Jets Defensive Coordinator, Donatell the Special Assistant, Mangini the Head Coach and Baalke held the title of College Scouting Coordinator.
• 49ers CB Nnamdi Asomugha (2011-12) and WR Chad Hall (2010-11) spent their time in Philadelphia with members of the Chiefs: Head Coach Andy Reid (1999-2012), Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley (1999-2012), Offensive Coordinator Doug Pederson (2009-12), Tight Ends Coach Tom Melvin (1999-2012), Assistant Offensive Line Coach Eugene Chung (2010-12), Quality Control Coach Corey Matthaei (2008-12), LB Akeem Jordan (2007-12), Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin (2008-12), Quarterbacks Coach Matt Nagy (2010-12), Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Travis Crittenden (2012), Defensive Line Coach Tommy Brasher (2012) and Statistical Analysis Coordinator Mike Frazier (2003-12).
• Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas spent his 1995-98 seasons as Defensive Coordinator in Philadelphia while 49ers Assistant Secondary Coach Greg Jackson (1994- 95) played safety and Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kevin Tolbert (1996-97) served as a Volunteer Strength and Conditioning Coach.
• Kansas City Director of Pro Scouting Will Lewis (1999-2011) served as Director of Pro Personnel (1999-2009) and Vice President of Football Operations (2010-11) in Seattle while San Francisco Offensive Line Coach Mike Solari (2008-09) served in the same capacity and Special Teams Assistant Tracy Smith (2011) had the title of Coaching Assistant. 49ers WR Ricardo Lockette was on the Seahawks roster for the 2011 season.
• San Francisco S Craig Dahl (2009-12) played for St. Louis during which time Chiefs WR Donnie Avery (2008-10) and OL Rokevious Watkins (2012) were on the roster. Kansas City Assistant Secondary Coach Al Harris (2011) played alongside Dahl as a cornerback.
• Chiefs QB Alex Smith was part of the San Francisco roster from 2005-12 after being drafted number one overall in 2005 by the 49ers.
• San Francisco Offensive Line Coach Mike Solari held the title of Offensive Line Coach (1997-2005) and Offensive Coordinator (2006-07) in Kansas City.
•49ers DL Glenn Dorsey played for the Chiefs from 2008-12.
• Chiefs LB Nico Johnson (2008-12) and 49ers DT Quinton Dial (2011-12) were teammates at Alabama where they were part of two BCS National Championship teams (2011-12).
• 49ers Strength/Conditioning and Nutrition Assistant Kurt Schmidt (2008-12) served as Strength and Conditioning Coordinator at Arkansas during which time Kansas City RB Knile Davis (2009-12) was on the roster.
• San Francisco LB Corey Lemonier (2010-12) played for Auburn with Chiefs DB Neiko Thorpe (2008-11).
• 49ers T Joe Staley (2003-06) was a part of the Central Michigan sqaud with Chiefs CB Vince Agnew (2006-10) and LB Frank Zombo (2005-09). Staley was the first first-round pick out of Central Michigan in 2007 while Chiefs T Eric Fisher (2009-12) was the second Chippewa picked in round one in the 2013 draft.
• Chiefs WR Jamar Newsome and San Francisco FB Bruce Miller spent 2007-10 as teammates at Central Florida.
• 49ers TE/DT DeMarcus Dobbs (2006-10) was teammates with Chiefs LB Justin Houston (2007-10) and DB Sanders Commings (2008-12) at Georgia.
• 49ers RB Jewel Hampton (2008-10) played collegiately at Iowa with Chiefs: QB Ricky Stanzi (2006-10), TE Tony Moeaki (2005-09) and S Greg Castillo (2008-12). Kansas City Quality Control Coach Mark DeLeone also served as a Student Assistant at his alma mater from 2007-08.
• Kansas City LB Zac Diles (2005-06) was on the roster at Kansas State when San Francisco Vice President of Football Operations Jeff Ferguson (1997-2005) was the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine.
• Chiefs Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Barry Rubin (1984-85) served as Strength and Conditioning Coach at LSU while 49ers Assisstant Secondary Greg Jackson (1985-88) was on the roster as a safety.
• Kansas City DE Tyson Jackson (2004-08) and WR Dwayne Bowe (2003-06) played alongside 49ers DL Glenn Dorsey (2004-07) at LSU while San Francisco Special Teams Assistant Tracy Smith (2005) was on staff as an Offensive Graduate Assistant.
• Chiefs WR Junior Hemmingway (2007-11) was a part of Michigan's roster in conjunction with 49ers WR Mario Manningham (2004-07) and G Patrick Omameh (2008-12). San Francisco Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Kevin Tolbert spent 2001-07 as Michigan's Strength and Conditioning Coach.
• 49ers LB Patrick Willis (2003-06) played collegiately at Mississippi with Chiefs WR Dexter McCluster (2006-09) and S Kendrick Lewis (2006-09).
• San Francisco LB Aldon Smith (2007-10) spent time with Chiefs LS Brad Madison (2008- 12) and QB Chase Daniel (2006-08) at Missouri.
• Chiefs OL Geoff Schwartz (2004-08) spent his college years at Oregon with San Francisco RB LaMichael James (2008-12), G Adam Snyder (2001-04) and FB/DT Will Tukuafu (2006-09).
• Kansas City TE Kevin Brock (2004-08) spent time at Rutgers with 49ers T Anthony Davis (2007-10) and CB Marcus Cooper (2009-12).
• 49ers CB Chris Culliver (2007-10) & RB Marcus Lattimore (2010-12) were teammates at South Carolina with Chiefs K Ryan Succop (2005-08) & OL Rokevious Watkins (2009-11).
• Chiefs Quality Control Coach Britt Reid (2010-12) served as Student Assistant/Graduate Assistant at Temple while 49ers G Wayne Tribue (2008-11) was on the roster.
• 49ers QB Colt McCoy (2006-10) and CB Tarell Brown (2003-06) spent time at Texas with Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson (2001-04) and RB Jamaal Charles (2005-07). Brown and Charles were part of the 2005 BCS National Championship team.
• Kansas City RB Cyrus Gray and San Francisco DT Tony Jerod Eddie were teammates at Texas A&M from 2008-11.
• 49ers Tight Ends Coach Reggie Davis (2005-07) served as the Running Backs Coach at UNLV during Chiefs Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Brent Salazar's (2005) time as a Strength and Conditioning Intern.
• San Francisco Strength, Conditioning and Nutrition Assistant Kurt Schmidt (2003-04) served as a Graduate Assistant at Utah while Chiefs QB Alex Smith (2002-05) was on the roster.
• Chiefs T Branden Albert (2005-07) played collegiately at Virginia with 49ers LB Ahmad Brooks (2003-05).
• 49ers Linebackers Coach Jim Leavitt (1990-95) held the roles of Linebackers Coach and Defensive Coordinator at Kansas State. San Francisco Vice President of Football Operations Jeff Ferguson (1997-2005) was also a part of the Wildcats as the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine.
• San Francisco Offensive Line Coach Mike Solari spent 1983-85 as an Offensive Line Coach at Kansas.
• Three 49ers spent time at Missouri: Linebackers Coach Jim Leavitt (1978-79) as a Graduate Assistant, LB Aldon Smith (2007-10) and DT Justin Smith (1997-2000). Leavitt is from Raytown, Mo.; Aldon Smith is a Kansas City, Mo. native and attended Jefferson City High School in Jefferson City, Mo; and Justin Smith grew up in Holts Summit, Mo.
• San Francisco LB Michael Wilhoite (2005-10) attended Highland Park High School in Topeka, Kan., and graduated from Washburn University.
• 49ers DT Tank Carradine (2009-10) attended Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kan.
• Chiefs Tight Ends Coach Tom Melvin is a Palo Alto, Calif., native along with 49ers Defensive Assistant/Outside Linebackers Coach Peter Hansen.
• Kansas City WR Dwayne Bowe, DT Anthony Toribio and San Francisco Assistant Secondary Coach Greg Jackson list Miami, Fla., as their hometown.
• San Francisco CB Perrish Cox and Kansas City LB Derrick Johnson both grew up in Waco, Texas.
• Chiefs LB Darin Drakeford and 49ers TE Vernon Davis both hail from Washington D.C.
• 49ers LB Darius Fleming is a Chicago native along with Chiefs OL Jeff Allen.
• Kansas City RB Cyrus Gray and 49ers DT Tony Jerod Eddie share the hometown of DeSoto, Texas. They both attended DeSoto High School from 2004-08, were All-State honorees and went on to Texas A&M to play together collegiately.
• Chiefs DB Sanders Commings and San Francisco CB Carlos Rogers are both from Augusta, Ga.
• San Francisco S C.J. Spillman (2001-04) and Chiefs LB/DE Ridge Wilson (2005-08) both come from Louisville, Ky., and attended Central High School in Louisville, missing each other by just one year.
• Houston, Texas, is the hometown of 49ers S Michael Thomas and RB D.J. Harper along with Chiefs Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs and LB Orie Lemon.
• 49ers G Patrick Omameh and Chiefs S Bradley McDougald share the same hometown of Columbus, Ohio.
• Los Angeles is claimed as a hometown by Chiefs OL Geoff Schwartz and Head Coach Andy Reid, as well as San Francisco CB Lowell Rose.
• Kansas City OL Eric Kush (2005-08) and 49ers S Bubba Ventrone (2001-04) both attended Chartiers Valley High School in Bridgeville, Pa., but missed each other by one year.
Last but not least