The Kansas City Chiefs rookies and quarterbacks reported to camp on Monday, just in time for the first practice on Tuesday morning. Already, there's an injury. Several reporters on the scene, including Ross Martin of the St. Joe News-Press, report that Commings is undergoing x-rays for a shoulder injury.
Reid said Commings was already off to have a shoulder X-rayed. Likely will be updated tomorrow. #Chiefs— Ross Martin (@PCBearcat) July 23, 2013
Chiefs players are not in pads this morning. They are in shorts and helmets.
The update came from Andy Reid, who spoke to the media following practice.
Obviously we're hoping that this is not a serious injury, especially on the first day. Commings, the Chiefs fifth round pick out of Georgia, is expected to compete for playing time at safety. Eric Berry is the only sure-thing at safety at this point with Commings, Kendrick Lewis and Husain Abdullah, among others, vying for playing time.
With practice over for the day, an update on Commings may not come until Wednesday.
The Chiefs training camp schedule for this week will include practices with the rookies and quarterbacks until the veterans arrive on Thursday. The first official practice is on Friday afternoon. See the full Chiefs training camp schedule here.
More from Arrowhead Pride:
- Kansas City Chiefs predictions: The offense, part 1
- Chiefs training camp 2013: What you missed as Andy Reid, the rookies and QBs arrived
- Arrowheadlines: Kansas City Chiefs News 7/23
- Chiefs training camp 2013: Andy Reid explains what to expect this week
- Eric Fisher, unsigned, waits while rest of KC Chiefs rookie class reports to training camp