1. What is the position battle you're looking forward to the most?
The interior of the offensive line is the battle my eyes are on. What combo do they use during camp? Who starts seeing more reps? Does one of the backups step up?
I also have my eye on the No. 2 WR battle and the third TE spot.
2. What's the one area on the team that the Chiefs can not afford to have an injury? (Besides Alex Smith and Jamaal Charles)
Dwayne Bowe is very crucial to this offense. He is the one reliable receiver who has proven his ability. He has consistently performed in the NFL. If you take him away from this passing offense, it will sputter and you will be forced to get production from two tight end sets.
On defense, Eric Berry looks to be fully recovered and allows this defense to be versatile with his athletic ability. They don't have anyone who can replace him and perform the same way.
3. Who will be this year's Jon Baldwin, the player that wows us in camp?
On offense, I think a lot of people will be impressed by TE Demetrius Harris. He is a big body, very athletic and grows each practice. Now we will see how he responds to hits.
On defense, Sean Smith will show playmaking flashes if tested.
A wildcard is Tyler Bray. He has a great arm. He can rifle throws in there and on go routes you saw serious drop in the bucket / outside shoulder accuracy.
4. Training camp is just practice. What are a few types of insights you can glean from watching practice? The depth chart is an obvious one, but in terms of evaluating players, what can we learn?
From the young players, you find out who is mentally tough.
Do they look comfortable in the schemes they are trying to perform? Are their heads spinning and how do they respond?
If you have good talent evaluators, those questions are already answered for the veterans. So with the veterans you are hopefully just looking at if they have enough left in the tank to help contribute.
5. What is the best part of training camp as an observer?
The fact football is now back is the best part. There's no more off-season. You are in full swing. I think for the fans it is a great opportunity to see the players up close. They may get to interact with them during the autograph session. And they see how the practice is run for their favorite team.
For football coaches it is a chance to see the drills/situations a pro team is running and can they implement it for their players?