Is it too soon?
The 2013 Kansas City Chiefs will be entering training camp soon. John Dorsey and Andy Reid have reshaped the Chiefs squad for the upcoming season. A number of the players brought in are short term or stop-gap measures in a number of player positions.
A quick perusal of the roster and the positions that are probably good to go for 2014 are evident (barring injury). I don't think we need to worry about Fullback:) We should be good to go at RB, TE, Offensive Guard, hopefully Center, Nose Tackle. Another trio of positions is good for 2013 but who knows in 2014. Offensive Tackle is a question mark, Wide Receiver (after Dwayne Bowe), and of course Quarterback.
Defensive End (with Tyson Jackson in it) is a question mark for 2014. How do the new Corner backs pan out in Sutton's scheme? What about Safety and Inside Line-backer? What is available for the Chiefs to grab in 2014?
And what do you suppose we will need?
QB - Everything rests on Alex Smith, the Chiefs 2013 season and the 2014 Draft. If he plays well we might not need a QBOTF in 2014, and we would only have one pick in the 1st two rounds of the draft. If he doesn't, it is a fine year to have a top-10 draft pick.
- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (Junior)
- Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M (Red Shirt Sophmore)
- David Fales, QB, San Jose State
- Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
- A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
- Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
- Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA (Red Shirt Sophmore)
- Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
OT - Branden Albert is the key on whether we do or don't. If John Dorsey re-signs Albert we don't need a Tackle at all. If he doesn't, We might still want to get a bookend Tackle to pair with Eric Fisher. One of these three, might even keep Fisher at Right Tackle for a long time.
- Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
- Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
- Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama (Junior)
- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
- Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
- Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
- Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama (Junior)
- Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford (Junior)
DE - It all depends on how Tyson Jackson plays in 2013 and if we decide to try to re-sign him for 2014. Another option is to move Poe to DE and draft another dominating huge man to play Nose for the Chiefs.
- Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame (Junior)
- Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
- Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU (Junior)
- Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee (Junior)
- Henry Anderson, DE/DT, Stanford (Junior)
WR - Wide receiver might not be a need if Donnie Avery and Jon Baldwin progress in the Chiefs offensive scheme. It would be hard to pass up one of the 1st tier prospects if the Chiefs are in a position to nab one of them.
- Marqise Lee, WR, USC (Junior)
- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson (Junior)
- Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU (Junior)
- Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin (Junior)
CB - Probably a secondary need at the moment. If the Chiefs have a 2nd round pick we probably have greater needs than an early round CB in 2014.
- Loucheiz Purifoy*, CB, Florida
- Bradley Roby*, CB, Ohio State
- Marcus Roberson*, CB, Florida
- Ifo Ekpre-Olomu*, CB, Oregon
Safety - Probably a secondary need at the moment.
- I don't see an Eric Berry in the 2014 draft
ILB - If all goes well in 2013 and the Chiefs win. Fingers crossed:)
C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
Mosley played excellent football for Alabama last year. He led the team with 107 tackles. The junior also notched two interceptions, four sacks, eight tackles for a loss, one forced fumble and two passes broken up. One of his interceptions was returned 16 yards for a touchdown against Michigan.
Mosley has a real presence playing fast and physical football. Alabama's other defenders struggled against Texas A&M in 2012, but he was excellent, making 14 tackles and a sack.
NFL scouts will love Mosley's pass defense. He is a phenomenal defender in the passing game in man coverage, zone coverage and blitzing. Mosley could use more strength for the ground game, but he is a special player.
Which position or prospect do you think will be in the greatest need in 2014?