Free Agency is underway and the Chiefs have made some big moves. Clearly they are trying to put themselves in a spot where they could either trade down or take any guy they want in the draft. Most teams drafting 1st overall would love the versatility that the Chiefs have.
- Signed the Big 3- Clearly this was a big move that most thought wasn't going to happen (myself included). They signed long term deals with Dwayne Bowe and Dustin Colquitt, along with franchising Branden Albert. This is a step up from Pioli as odds are Albert and Colquitt walk. Even if they can't get a deal worked out by July with Albert, at least he is still here.
- Upgraded DE and TE- They released Kevin Boss so Tight End was a need. They wanted to re-sign Glenn Dorsey but got Mike DeVito. As much as we loved Dorsey, that spot needed to be upgraded. Most of forgot he was even on the team last season due to play by RoPo. Mike DeVito is one of the best 3-4 Defensive Ends in the NFL and can even play NT if needed. Anthony Fasano (what is with Tight Ends named Tony and KC?) is a good blocker and can catch if needed. Clearly these two were areas they could have addressed in the draft but again they got a position of need and opened their draft boards even more. They could always take another TE in the draft but I would like to see Steve Maneri come back.
- Chiefs are not drafting a QB- I can almost guarantee that the Chiefs are not taking a QB in the draft. They traded for Alex Smith, signed Chase Daniel and have Ricky Stanzi and Alex Tanney bringing up the rear. I am not going to argue on this because I know squat about scouting QB's. Did we bet the farm for Smith? Yeah but it is clear that Andy Reid and John Dorsey did not feel as though any of the guys in the draft were "their guys". Chase Daniel has never started a game but he did sit behind Drew Brees and could have picked up a thing or three.
- Still need S, ILB and CB- I highly doubt Dunta Robinson is the only DB move they make this offseason. They are too many Corners on the market for them not to make a move. Sean Smith, Nnamdi and DRC are all out there (although it looks like DRC is going to sign with the Broncos).
- Who will they draft? In all of this Free Agency madness, the ultimate question still lays unanswered. Just who will the Chiefs draft? Honestly I have no idea. With Albert on the tag, they could take an OT. Go with Albert and the draft pick and let Donald Stephenson sit and develop for another year.