With the recent FA signings, I felt it would be a good time to look at our depth chart as it stands now, so we can see where our needs lie. I'll put up each position, who I think will be the starter, and list what depth we have behind them (those may not be in order). Keep in mind that I am not perfect, and it's possible that I forget to take off someone we haven't re-signed. Here goes:
QB: Starter- Alex Smith. Depth- Chase Daniel, Ricky Stanzi, Alex Tanney
RB: Starter- Jamaal Charles. Depth- Cyrus Gray, Shaun Draughn.
LT: Starter- Branden Albert. Depth- Steven Baker? Several guys are listed as OL, so I'm not sure where we sit here.
LG: Starter- Jeff Allen. Depth- Rich Ranglin? My depth on the OL is just going to be Questionable.
C: Starter- Rodney Hudson. Depth- Brian Mattison?
RG: Starter- Jon Asamoah. Depth- Luke Patterson?
RT: Starter- Donald Stephenson. Depth- Steven Baker again?
NT: Starter- Dontari Poe. Depth- Jerrell Powe, Anthony Toribio
OLB: Starters- Tamba Hali, Justin Houston. Depth- Andy Studebaker.
ILB: Starters- Derrick Johnson, ?. Depth- We have basically nobody.
SS: Starter- Eric Berry. Depth- Hussain Abdullah?
FS: Starter- Kendrick Lewis. Depth- Tysyn Hartman
Recap: We still have some holes to fill, mainly in the area of depth. But with more FA and the draft, I'm sure we can do that. The major needs I see are:
1. ILB- We do not have a starter under contract. We can easily pick one up in FA. I do think we should re-sign Siler for depth.
2. CB- Dunta Robinson will not be our starter, barring injuries. He is just the 2nd best we have on the roster now.
3. RT- Donald Stephenson is a guy that I believe can get the job done. However, we'll either need some depth, or a better starter here. We'll see if they bite on anyone in FA or *gulp* draft a Tackle at #1
4. G/C- We need more interior line depth. I'm not sure about anyone we have right now. It would be nice to pick up a veteran guy that may be on the decline, but could fill in when someone inevitably gets hurt.
5. FS- I still think Lewis can be a solid starter, and we need to wait and see what they do with Robinson. But as it stands, we at least need depth, and probably another starting-caliber player.
6. WR- Reports are that Donnie Avery may be signing with us. That would be a good speed receiver to use in Reid's offense.
Honestly, I think we're solid everywhere else. We shored up the #2 QB, the TE spot, the DE spot, and improved our CB situation. I'm excited to see what the rest of FA and the draft bring.
Also, Sorry Joel. I started this before you posted your updated team needs. I guess great minds think alike....