[Ed. note: The list of needs I'm going off of came before the Eric Winston release. So you can plug offensive tackle into that No. 2 spot.]
1. Cornerback: This remains a need as the Kansas City Chiefs have yet to address it. The cornerback market has been slow thus far but we expect that to pick up in the next few days. The way it works is that a team will sign a free agent corner, and that will set the market for the rest of them. So once we see a couple of the big names land someplace, the rest should be coming in shortly behind that. The Chiefs have been rumored to be in the mix for a free agent cornerback, despite the signing of Dunta Robinson. Sean Smith is a name that's repeatedly been brought up but we haven't heard anything on him in the last 24 hours. Keep an eye on this. It could be the last "big" signing the Chiefs have.
2. Defensive end: This has been addressed. Mike DeVito signed a three-year deal with the Chiefs. Looks like he'll be the starting defensive end. This essentially rules out Glenn Dorsey (at least I think it does), who is visiting the San Francisco 49ers. The Chiefs could still use depth along the defensive line. 3. No. 2 quarterback: This, too, has been addressed. Chase Daniel was signed to a three-year, $10 million deal. That makes him the No. 2, backing up Alex Smith, whose trade to the Chiefs became official on Tuesday.
4. No. 2 receiver: The Chiefs are visiting with Donnie Avery, which is the only receiver news I know of. As I argued before, the Chiefs are in a tough spot here because they should give Jon Baldwin a chance to earn that No. 2 spot.
5. Inside linebacker: Nothing here. Brad Jones from the Packers was a name folks said to keep an eye on. Eight teams were reportedly interested in him ... but in the last 24 hours there has been no news on him. Hmm....
6. Safety: Maybe this is Dunta Robinson, whose position is not yet clear. He could potentially play safety. Or the Chiefs could bring someone else in. Bernard Pollard just hit the market.
7. No. 2 running back: Zilch. This could be a position the Chiefs address in the draft considering Andy Reid's offense doesn't give a lot of touches to the backup running back.
Other needs for the Chiefs...
RT @justis_m: Chiefs biggest needs...ILB or CB? >>Both but more important to defend pass nowadays.— NFL Philosophy (@NFLosophy) March 13, 2013
My Targets if I'm the #Chiefs today 1. Sebastian Vollmer, OT2. Sean Smith, CB 3. Brad Jones, ILB— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) March 13, 2013
Chiefs needs for the draft are getting slimmer... Joeckel looks to be perfect pick at this point. He can play RT his rookie year.— Sports Talk KC (@SportsTalkKC) March 12, 2013
Donnie Avery is just the kinda guy KC needs with bowe. Another legit wr. Bowe is better though. #chiefs— Sports Talk of KC (@SportsTalkofKC) March 13, 2013
Taken care of: QB, backup QB, TE. Needs: DB, WR, OL. No secret, I want the #Chiefs to draft Dee, so we need a OL and a WR.— All Chiefs (@AllChiefsDK) March 13, 2013
It's been a very interesting day 1 of free agency for the #Chiefs. In my opinion lots of needs were filled.— Matthew Hoyt (@mhoyt1619) March 13, 2013
Current Chiefs needs: another CB, MLB, WR (2), backup RB, RT/third OT, backup C, and kick returner.— The Program(@theprogramkc) March 13, 2013
We're a RT or CB signing away from me being pretty damn happy about this offseason thus far. Addressing needs. Spending money. #Chiefs— BJ Kissel (@bkissel7) March 12, 2013