Well, the Chiefs officially have their QB. I don't want this thread to be another debate or vent session about the trade... it's done, they overpaid, but got "their guy".
Free Agency and the Franchise tag deadline are rapidly approaching, I hope to hear good news on Albert, Bowe, Colquitt, Jackson soon.
As I've said in other threads, the Smith trade alone is one thing... but it's likely just one piece in a much larger plan... hopefully, the rest of the plan will re-load the bandwagon.
The combine is in the books, and there were some incredible performances... this should be a deep draft, and the Chiefs very well could find some gems.
Some other big upcoming dates to look forward to:
March 4: Last day to apply the franchise tag
March 9-11: Teams can begin negotiating with the agents of players set to become unrestricted free agents at the start of the league year (teams can only talk to agents and not the players during this negotiating window)
March 12: 2013 League Year begins at 4 p.m. ET, opening free agency and the trading period
March 17-20: Annual League Meeting (The Biltmore in Phoenix, AZ) Compensatory picks normally announced.
April 25-27: 2013 NFL Draft (in New York City, NY)
So, here's this week's Mockery Thread...for those of you who don't remember, we will post one of these threads every week or two, depending on the volume, and encourage all of the Mockers to post their mocks HERE... and not in the fanshots/fanposts/comments.
Moderators will be encouraged to copy/paste mocks that aren't FanPost worthy in the comments of this thread, in order to make sure the numerous, well-thought out FanPosts don't get pushed down the list by a million simple mocks.
Assumptions: Bowe, Albert, Colquitt, Jackson, Ropo all re-sign with KC
1) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama: I sincerely hope/believe KC will do everything in their power to trade down from #1... if they can do that, Milliner might be their guy.
2) Traded for Alex Smith
3) Tyler Bray, QB , Tenn: Many believe Bray could develop into the best QB from this class. Reid/Dorsey WILL draft a QBoTF, and I think Bray would be ideal
3 comp) Stedman Bailey, WR West Virginia: May not last this long, and it might be overkill to add Bailey with Jennings... but Green Bay has done well with a stockpile of WRs...
5) Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado: Smith loves throwing to TEs, he's a great #2 to Moeaki, with size and upside.
6) Zeke Motta, FS, Notre Dame: Secondary Depth
7) Michael Williams, TE Alabama: Value pick at TE, another blocker/big target
7 comp) Graham Pocic, C/G, Illinois: depth guy, completes the trifecta of Illini interior OLinemen for KC
(draft rankings from CBS/NFL DraftScout)
Some Mock Draft sites: