Andy Reid called Johnson's an ankle injury. I knew it probably wasn't good news when Johnson tweeted this yesterday:
Well it is what it is— James Johnson (@52JMJ) December 30, 2013
Can’t catch a break— James Johnson (@52JMJ) December 30, 2013
And so it's now confirmed. He has been moved to injured reserve with his ankle injury. His season is over. Injured reserve makes it sound like it's a serious injury but that's not necessarily the case. With possibly as little as one week left in the season, even an ankle sprain can land you on injured reserve.
Herbie Teope of ChiefsSpin.com reported that the Chiefs signed a linebacker in his place, Robert James. He was a 2008 fifth round pick by the Falcons and also spent a little time with the Ravens. He is likely coming in to replace Johnson on special teams. I wouldn't expect him to see any time with the regular defense barring any injuries.
The good news for Johnson is that he still gets a ring if the Chiefs win it all. So there's there.
- 5 keys to victory for Kansas City
- Chiefs could learn the cost of winning during this year's hiring cycle
- Chiefs-Colts announcers will be Dan Hicks and Mike Mayock
- Where are you watching the game?
- Chiefs 2014 opponents released; Patriots, 49ers, Seahawks on the schedule
- Arrowheadlines: Chiefs News 12/31