After starting 9-0, the Kansas City Chiefs lost three consecutive games.
It appeared as though the sky might be falling a little bit, especially considering two painful defeats to the Denver Broncos were involved. Then, a funny thing happened. The Chiefs went on the road and absolutely dominated two straight weeks, beating the Washington Redskins and Oakland Raiders by a combined 60 points.
Now, Kansas City plays what could be the final game inside Arrowhead Stadium this season against the Indianapolis Colts. Both teams will be playing hard, as playoff seeding is still up for grabs.
So where do our guys and the experts nationally see the Chiefs in the rankings? Let's take a look:
|Ranking||Joel T.||Matt V.||Matt C.||Average|
|San Francisco 49ers||3||4||3||3.3|
|Kansas City Chiefs||5||3||4||4.0|
|New Orleans Saints||4||6||6||5.3|
|New England Patriots||7||7||7||7.0|
|San Diego Chargers||16||18||15||16.3|
|Green Bay Packers||18||16||16||16.7|
|New York Jets||20||22||22||21.3|
|St. Louis Rams||23||21||20||21.3|
|New York Giants||24||24||24||24.0|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||25||23||27||25.0|
7. Jamaal Charles ran absolutely riot on the Raiders' no-cover linebacking corps, conjuring images of Marshall Faulk in his prime and scoring almost every time he caught the ball with room to operate. The Chiefs' defense gave up some unsightly yardage, but more importantly they harvested an astounding seven turnovers to build an early lead and then squash the Raiders' comeback bid. It would take an amazing gaffe by the Broncos for K.C. to take the division, but at least the Chiefs can aim to enter the playoffs on a hot streak after an ugly November. (Last week: 8)
7. Do you remember a few years ago when Todd Haley gave Thomas Jones more carries than Jamaal Charles? That was hilarious.
4. Jamal Charles had 20 yds rushing but 195 yds receiving. Oakland had no answer.
5. Not two days after I make a reference to Chiefs fans not being able to handle a fiftyburger, their team drops a fiftyburger. I guess I deserved that. Thanks to the Chargers, the Chiefs are now in position to capitalize off another Broncos blunder should there be one against the two remaining cupcakes on the Broncos schedule. How quickly things can change in a week.
8. The Chiefs have averaged more than 50 points over their past two games, but then again, they've played Washington and Oakland. (LW: 8)
6. Andy Reid's Chiefs have looked dominant the past two weeks. Kansas City outscored their opponent by a combined 60 points in these two games.
4. Denver may have given up the AFC control briefly, only to get it back, but they aren't even assured of winning their division, given how Kansas City is bouncing back after losing three.