From the FanPosts -Joel
Thanksgiving has come and gone, and while the Chiefs have given us plenty to be thankful for this year, that time has come when our thoughts inevitably turn to the holiday season ahead- one that will surely be filled with joy as the Chiefs are on track for a playoff berth. What better way to celebrate this joyous occasion than with the giving of gifts? In a few hours, I will be standing in line at various stores across the area to buy the Chiefs the gifts they truly need- and deserve- this holiday season. First, I need to run down my Black Friday list one more time:
- At the top of my list is a win over the Denver Broncos on Sunday afternoon and home-field advantage in the playoffs. Fortunately, it looks like the NFL store is offering a two-for-one deal on these items for this week only. Beat the Broncos, and there’s a very good chance you’ll have home field advantage in the playoffs. It’s a deal too good to pass up. I just need to make sure I’m first in line so I can put it in my cart quickly.
- If I can’t get to the win over Denver, at the very least, I’ll be making sure that I get my hands on a playoff berth for the Chiefs. There’s still plenty in stock, and we’ll be at the front of the line.
- I’ll be looking for some incredibly quick healing for Justin Houston and Tamba Hali. But as much as I want them to heal quickly, I want them to heal appropriately too. I don’t want them to be stuck with the cheap, generic knockoff that their parents say is "pretty much the same thing, anyway." Only the best for these two.
- On a related note, I’ll also be shopping for a big game from Frank Zombo. If only Tamba Hali returns, all the attention will probably be on #91- giving Zombo the opportunity to do his best to wreak havoc on the Broncos’ offensive line, in much the same way a deranged shopper with pepper spray wreaks havoc on a mall full of shoppers.
- Andy Reid was going to receive plenty of the best barbecue in KC. He certainly deserves it with this year’s turnaround, but… he already got to it before I could formally give it to him. I can’t blame him- he’s been win-starved the past two weeks. He’s hungry.
- I found some great new gloves for the receivers that we might be able to slip flypaper or Velcro onto, and in the same section, I hope to find the breakout game Alex Smith needs to prove once and for all he’s more than just a game manager.
- I want to get Jamaal Charles something, but what do you get the man who has everything? I’ll certainly be giving him a heartfelt thank you note. Perhaps a solid backup running back to limit his opportunities to get hurt. At the very least, some much-needed R&R… after the Denver game.
- I can’t forget the secondary. I’m going to present Marcus Cooper with an injection of confidence to get him playing at the level he was earlier in the season. For Quintin Demps, the extra step he needs to turn completions into pick-sixes (I mean, he’s been so close- three times in the last two games.) And for Sean Smith… a short memory?
- At least one more electrifying punt return for Dexter McCluster. We know he can take it the distance. Hopefully we’ll be able to see it more often.
- It’ll take a lot of work to shop for 70,000+ fans. I’m up to the task, though. Throat lozenges for everyone after the game against Denver, and maybe a new- albeit unofficial- World Record.
- I’ve still got a couple other teams to shop for too. We can’t forget about the other sports in the area! I need to find an MLS Cup for Sporting KC, and for the Royals, a solid second baseman or outfielder. Let’s give all the area sports teams reason to celebrate this holiday season!
Of course, at the very top of my list is a Lombardi trophy. Unfortunately, that doesn’t go on sale until February, and while the line is shorter here than at other places, it is much tougher to get to the front of the line. Perhaps this is the week that the Chiefs pitch their tent just outside of MetLife Stadium and refuse to move- turning away all those who might try to cut in front of them.
How about you? Besides the Lombardi, what’s on your Black Friday shopping list for the Chiefs?