The Kansas City Chiefs finally lost a game.
It took 10 tries, but an opponent finally knocked the Chiefs down. The Denver Broncos took care of business at home, winning 27-17 to improve to 9-1 and tie Kansas City atop the AFC West.
Of course, a loss means that the Chiefs will be knocked off their perch as the best team in the NFL, at least in our rankings anyway. Kansas City now has a shot at redemption, with two huge divisional games coming up, including a rematch with the Broncos on Dec. 1.
|Teams||Joel Thorman||Matt Verderame||Matt Conner||MNChiefsFan||Average|
|New Orleans Saints||3||3||3||3||3.0|
|Kansas City Chiefs||4||4||4||4||4.0|
|New England Patriots||6||6||7||6||6.3|
|San Francisco 49ers||12||9||11||8||10.0|
|Green Bay Packers||11||14||17||13||13.8|
|New York Jets||17||15||16||15||15.8|
|New York Giants||16||21||19||16||18.0|
|San Diego Chargers||20||19||18||19||19.0|
|St. Louis Rams||27||24||22||25||24.5|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||31||30||31||28||30.0|
Around the nation
5. With their backs against the wall, Alex Smith and Andy Reid were finally willing to roll the dice and throw deep. The Chiefs' receivers weren't up to the challenge, though, and Kansas City wasn't able to generate enough punch to get past Denver on the road. The Kansas City defense clamped the Broncos run game, made Manning work for his yards and even forced him into a fumble, but they couldn't bring enough consistent pressure against the game's premier quick-strike pass attack. There's no shame in a tough loss to a great opponent, and KC will get an Arrowhead rematch for one more shot at home field advantage. Hopefully, they won't mothball passes of 10+ yards during the intervening weeks. (Last Week: 3)
3. They did some good things at Denver, but that offense is too limited. At some point, it has to improve in the passing game.
Editor note: That's right Prisco. You show some respect. In fact,he has the Chiefs ranked higher than us...what world are we living in?
3. They learned a lot in the loss to the Broncos and will have a better plan in the rematch. Generating a pass rush against Peyton Manning is a lot different than rushing the backup QBs they played for weeks.
5. My feelings about the Chiefs didn't change on Sunday. They're a good team with a solid defense and a very limited offense, which is what they've been all season. Didn't overreact to a nine-game winning streak against bad competition, won't overreact to a road loss to a very good team.
4. The Chiefs dropped their first game of the season, and it wasn't really close, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the rematch in Arrowhead in two weeks. The defense is still full of monsters and it was the first time someone held Denver under 30 since Wk 14 last year, when they stopped trying in the fourth against Oakland. Don't write off the Chiefs just yet.
5. They were not going to go undefeated, but the question is, how do they respond now?
5. Normally when a team loses they don't rise in power rankings, but I have been trolling Chiefs fans heavily for a few weeks and have been ranking this team unfairly low. They are a solid football team, but that offense needs to start putting up some points or its going to be one and done in the playoffs. Jamaal Charles was averaging over four yards a carry, easily the best any running back has done against the Broncos this year, yet the Chiefs threw the ball like forty times. Huh? Arrowhead Stadium in two weeks is not going to be a pleasant task for the Broncos, but a victory there is essential to secure the AFC West.
3. Please, click this link. Funniest, and most accurate meme of all-time. Great job as always over here.
4. Andy Reid and Alex Smith played it safe. Unfortunately, the defense didn't step up and the Chiefs lost for the first time in 2013. Now that the undefeated watch is over, they can focus on football.
5. Eventually, we knew this offense would hold them back.
2. The Chiefs finally lost, but had a bunch of opportunities against the Broncos. Looking forward to round two in a couple weeks
More from Arrowhead Pride:
- Arrowheadlines: Chiefs News 11/19
- Are you encouraged or discouraged after KC's first loss?
- KC is favored over San Diego for first time sine Dick Vermeil (really)
- What Broncos-Patriots means to the Chiefs
- Chiefs-Broncos game gets BIG TV ratings
- Quotes: Andy Reid after the game
- Chiefs grades after Broncos loss