Longtime reader, some-times commenter, one time fan-post writer. Second time ever, so hear me out as such.
I've been thinking of some excellent Chiefs stories I'd be interested in. I don't have the answers to these, and would like someone to research and write at AP about them. Anyway, if you would also like to read any of these, I'll provide a poll at the bottom if there's one that stands out for you.
1) Years ago, before Dick Vermeil's aerial strike came to town, KC used to run the West Coast offense. I remember from those days how convinced Chiefs Nation was that the offense was slowing us down, mediocre and not able to win games for us. Then Vermeil came in, lit the NFL up with his high-flying offense that threw to receivers downfield, and not to running backs in the flat. And all of a sudden, we became the toast of the NFL offensively. 1 year, as I recall, we had the #1 offense in the NFL (before the horrible Herm Edwards years).
Anyway, my question is can someone at AP write about the last time the Chiefs used the West Coast offense, if anything is different now with how Andy Reid runs it, and maybe compare us now offensively to them, say, after the same amount of games we've had.
2) Who's the last Super-Bowl or conference championship teams that used and won with the West Coast offense?
3) How long does it take to get adjusted to our offense? Why is it that the defense also had a new scheme, and came out running out of the gate, but everyone says the offense needs time to adjust to a new scheme? Seems to me that both offense and defense had adjustments to make, just the defense has done it quicker.
4) Lots of doubters say we have a weaker schedule this year. Likewise, everyone says that we play the awful NFC East, the awful AFC South, and that KC has the last place schedule from last year. My thing is, though, I think a good case could be made for the decency of NFC East and AFC South teams. Their big problem is that they have lost several games to the much improved AFC West this year. Give them a few more wins, and all of a sudden the NFC East and AFC South don't look so bad. Can someone write a "what-if" column based on how different things would have been if some of those lucky bounces the Chiefs have gotten this year went the other way? And would people still call these other divisions awful? I think not.
Also, it's funny that we play much weaker teams because of their offensive production and record. Could it be that these teams are just running smack head first into the "Sutton Death Chiefense" that we have?
5) Run an article on unsung defensive heroes like Mike DeVito, Kendrick Lewis, Akeem Jordan and how they are helping the defense. I remember hearing a lot about how one of our biggest holes to address in the offseason was SILB. Now we've had Jordan, and I never hear about him. What's up?
Vote below. I added a funny one also.