As I sit here listening to some Bon Jovi, I was thinking how amazing it is that Chiefs are the last undefeated team in the NFL. The haters can hate all they want (looking at you MHR) but I am here to say that the Chiefs are legit.
This team has exceeded all my expectations and even if they do falter down the road, I can call this season a success. Now for 7 things we have learned about this team.
- Defense- If there is one thing that separates the Chiefs from the Enver Broncos, it is the D. No team has scored more than 17 points on this defense all season. The last defense to do that was the 2000 Baltimore Ravens (7 games in a row). If the Chiefs hold the Browns to under 17, they will have broken that streak. Averaging 5 sacks a game and roughly 3 TO's a game, this is a defense of historical proportions. No doubt the talent this team has has a lot to do with it but the new scheme Bob Sutton has implemented is what really set this a part. It is not just Tamba Hali and Justin Houston getting in on the fun, Dontari Poe and even Tyson Jackson are getting in on the fun.
- Coaching- If there was one reason why the Chiefs sucked last season, it wasn't just the QB. Coaching had a lot to do with it. Romeo Crennel was just too soft and had no clue what he was doing. That all changed when Clark Hunt brought in Andy Reid. Rather than getting a GM first, Clark went and found a Head Coach first. Many felt that Andy was done but it was more of a case of overstaying his welcome. After the hiring of John Dorsey, Andy went and brought in Bob Sutton for the defense and Dave Toub for the Special Teams. This team is playing as a unit or family if you so please.
- Andy Reid is the Coach of the Year- Barring something completely catastrophic, Andy should just about have this award locked up.
- Alex Smith just Wins- Even though this is a team effort, Alex Smith has a lot to do with it. The Chiefs don't win without a couple of his big runs. He may not be the best QB in the world but some QB's just have a winning attitude about themselves and Alex is one of those. He is a leader and knows when he screws up. Yeah he hasn't thrown a TD in a while but he is doing whatever he has to not to lose.
- They are having fun- This has to be the biggest thing I have noticed. They are happy to be out there and enjoying every moment. You could tell last year that it felt as if the team just did not want to be there any more. Whether it was the losing or the Belcher tragedy, something was just not right.
- They are not perfect- They maybe 7-0 but they are not perfect. No team is though. Not the 2007 New England Patriots or the 1972 Miami Dolphins. Being perfect means you have no flaws. You have all the talent in the world but there will always be something to improve on. The Chiefs team is no different. They have some things on offense to work out and even on defense.
- There is no giving up- When the Texans got the ball back with over a minute and a half left, it looked to be all over. Move down the field and kick a FG to win it. Clearly no one told the Chiefs defense that. As long as there is a second left on that clock, the Chiefs will never be done until they have either won or lost.
These may not be the best things we have learned but i am not much of a stat guy. These were more of the intangible type. Stuff you cannot touch or find on the stat sheet. Now we have the Cleveland Browns coming to OUR house. To any 49er's fans who may read this, you guys can have that second round pick that the Chiefs will be giving up. The way this season has gone is worth more than any draft pick.