Like most Chiefs fans, I am very disappointed in this year's crop of Head Coach candidates. There just doesn't seem to be that once-a-generation franchise coach that will almost assuredly bring the Lombardi Trophy back to Kansas City. I think we should pass on all the front row candidates and look at some coaches who will be much easier to get after the initial round of coaching hires. First, though, let's take a look at the first-line options.
1. Andy Reid: There has been a lot of talk about this guy recently. The whole "9 hours" bit has done a lot to fan the flames of possibility. My problem with him though, is that I think we have seen his ceiling. He is a Super Bowl loser, at best. What are the chances that an offense-minded guy who lost a Super Bowl in Philadelphia could go to Missouri and win a Super Bowl there? In what universe could that ever happen... more than once. Reid has had his NFL opportunities and has consistently shown that he will never be more than an also-ran.
2. Bill Cowher: A fan favorite, but he retired from the NFL for a reason. If he had wanted to keep coaching, he should have stayed where he was: the land of winning. Plus, It took him over a decade to win a Super Bowl despite having such amazing talent as Kordell "Slash" Stewart, Amos Zereoue, and Mike Tomczak. He is clearly a guy who does not know how to recognize talent. I don't think the fans of Kansas City want to give Cowher another decade to figure out how to win a championship.
3. Chip Kelly: ... Okay, I don't know a thing about Chip Kelly. But he coaches college ball and has a little boy's first name and a little girl's name as his last. If he jumps to the NFL he will most likely wind up like Bobby Petrino.
4. John Gruden: First off compare his appearance to that of Mark Davis. Do they look eerily similar to you. I am not alleging that Gruden is the bastard love-child of Al Davis and a Chucky doll, but the similarities do give one pause. Do you want that man as your leader when Raider week comes around?
5. Everyone else: Because they are all pretty much the same.
Now that we have looked at all the top tier candidates, I am going to tell you my pick for the next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs (drum roll):
James Robert Cooter:
Now for my reasons: One, we need an offensive-minded coach and Cooter controlled the Offensive quality of the Chiefs all last season. If there was one thing you could say about the quality of our offense, it was very offensive, and part of that is because of Cooter. Two, he was a quarterback in college at Tennessee. He will be able to help our new rookie quarterback, whoever it is we wind up picking in the second round of the draft, develop, basically turning him in to the next Peyton Manning. Third, he would know whether or not to keep Pioli, since he has worked in the organization already.
That's my defense for who our new head football coach should be. What do you think?
Who should be the next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs?
James Robert Cooter (2 votes)
Jim Bob Cooter (9 votes)
Someone else with the name Cooter (6 votes)
Not sure (7 votes)
24 total votes