Here's what I would do if I was the GM of KC this year, and why. Tell me what you like (or don't like) about this plan.
1. Trade our #1 pick to Philly for the #4 and Nick Foles, and maybe a late round, like a 4th. Why? Chip Kelly wants
Geno. He fits with his offense, and Kelly will want his guy to work with, not a leftover from Andy. Sidenote: I don't like
Smith. He's not a good leader, in my opinion. Great talent, but not great character, so not worth a #1 in my mind.
2. Draft CB Dee Millner, Alabama at #4. He has the talent to vastly improve our secondary. We can go back to using Arenas and Brown as depth and nickel packages.
3. Re-sign Albert. He's a quality LT that we can win games with. I think he wants to stay, and I think we can sign him for less than the market value of an elite LT (since he isn't elite, just good)
4. Make an effort to re-sign Bowe, but don't break the bank. There are quality WR's out there that fit Andy's system much better. I'm thinking Jennings or Wallace.
5. Keep Cassel. His contract is actually reasonable for a backup in his last year. Plus he's a serviceable starter if Foles doesn't work out.
6. Draft a QB, hopefully in the 3rd-4th range. Someone that is good depth, as well as a back-up plan.
7. Draft a G/C that can be our depth on the inside. With Lilja gone, we need some young talent for depth. I'm thinking 2nd-3rd round.
8. Re-sign Colquitt. This should not be a question.
9. If the new regime is going to use the 3-4, we need to re-sign Dorsey. There just isn't much better in the way of 3-4 DE out on the FA market. And it's not likely anyone we draft 3rd round or later can come in and start day one.
That's my thoughts, at least for now. I know Foles isn't a world-beater, but I like the idea of shoring up our QBOTF, while grabbing a solid starting CB, and another late-round pick. I think we could get that deal done. I don't think Smith fits the BPA motto, and I know Andy and Dorsey are shooting for long-term success, not a flash in the pan this year. I think Foles can develop into a solid NFL starter. He reminds me of Joe Flacco. Also, I'm on the record wanting us to draft Foles last year (although in hindsight Wilson may have been a better option)