It seems to be a common theme with all the draft experts that there is no QB good enough to justify the #1 overall pick. I hear it over and over again, even though QB is this teams biggest need and it isn't even close. The most recent was this morning on the radio during an interview with Steven St. John. I forgot the guys name and tried to look it up, but couldn't find it. I think his last name started with a P, but really this is not about him its about this common opinion on this years draft. He mentions that he thinks this is a horrible year to have the #1 overall pick, and that there wasn't a player that justifies such a high pick. When asked who was possibly worth the #1 overall pick he mentions Star Lotulelei, Damontre Moore and Jarvis Jones. When asked what the Chiefs should do he mentioned the possibility of trading down. SSJ quickly pointed out the flaw in his logic, that If there is no one worth taking #1 overall then why would anyone trade up for it? This got me thinking. If there is no QB available in this draft worth taking #1 overall, then what player does justify taking #1 overall.
So I went to CBS and looked up the 9 players ranked above Geno Smith. So which one of these players would you take #1 overall?
1. Luke Joekel- If we re-sign Albert I don't see how we justify this pick. Joekel is a good prospect. He is not at the Joe Thomas level but this may be the only pick I can Justify other than a QB at #1 overall.
2. Bjoern Werner- Would be an OLB if we stay 3-4, which would be hard to justify because now we have to bench one of our best players in Hali or Houston. If we go 4-3 this makes more sense but still makes you wonder.
3. Jarvis Jones- Pretty good player. Looks to be a 3-4 OLB, but the spinal stenosis has to scare you about taking him #1
4. Damontre Moore- Read above breakdown on Werner. For the same reasons I would worry about taking Moore. I find both Moore and Werner to be better suited for a 4-3 DE.
5. Chance Warmack- Guard at #1? Do I have to say more? Especially after taking a OG with our last to second round picks it is hard to justify this pick
6. Barkevious Mingo- In the same category as Werner and Moore
7. Dee Milner- We need another cornerback. Millner is good. However, is any corner worth taking #1 overall when you can just not throw their direction? I am not sure.
8. Star Lotulelei- If drafted as a NT I cant see how you justify this pick considering the Poe pick last year, especially because this would make him a 2 down player. If he is drafted as a DE this makes more sense, but I am not sure that he is suited for the position. Probably best as a 4-3 DT so if we change to a 4-3 this makes more sense.
9. Manti Te'o- ILB #1 overall? Just plain NO!
So if trading down isn't a possibility, and these are the other options we could justify drafting ahead of Geno, then give me Geno any day. I am not sure why this is even a conversation.