The Kansas City Chiefs
and Arizona Cardinals
will meet on Friday night at Arrowhead Stadium for the preseason opener and there will be a few familiar faces on both sides of the ball. The Chiefs release a weekly game packet and included in there is a listing of all the connections between the two teams.
This week's series of connections is pretty big. Check 'em all out after the jump, courtesy of the Chiefs.
• Kansas City General Manager Scott Pioli worked with Arizona Director of Player Personnel Jason Licht on the personnel staff with the New England Patriots
(2000-03) while Chiefs Head Coach Romeo Crennel was the team’s Defensive Coordinator (2001-04). Pioli also spent time in Cleveland as a Scouting Assistant (1992) and Pro Personnel Assistant (1993-94) while Arizona Special Teams Coach Kevin Spencer served as a Coaching Assistant for the Browns
. Chiefs Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant played on Cleveland’s defensive line during Spencer’s tenure with the Browns (1991-94).
• Arizona Strength and Conditioning Coach John Lott held the same position for the New York Jets
while Chiefs GM Scott Pioli was the Jets Director of Pro Personnel (1997-99).
• Chiefs Assistant Head Coach Maurice Carthon coached the running backs in Arizona for two seasons (2007-08). Carthon was also the Assistant Head Coach/RBs for the New York Jets in 2000 when Arizona Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt was the Jets TEs coach.
• Chiefs Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken was the Salary Cap Administrator in Cleveland while Arizona Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt coached the Browns special teams (1999).
• Kansas City WR Steve Breaston
was drafted by Arizona and spent four seasons (2007-10) with the Cardinals.
• Cardinals DE Vonnie Holliday played for the Chiefs for two years (2003-04).
• Chiefs Area Scout Aundrae Harris interned in the Cardinals scouting and football operations departments (2007).
• Chiefs DBs coach Emmitt Thomas was the TEs/WRs coach with the Cardinals (1981-85) while the franchise was based in St. Louis. Thomas later was the WRs (1986) and secondary (1987-94) coach for the Washington Redskins
when Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt played tight end (1989-90), Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Russ Grimm played guard (1986-91) and then coached tight ends (1992-94) and Defensive Coordinator Ray Horton was a Defensive Assistant.
• Arizona Defensive Coordinator Ray Horton coached alongside Kansas City Assistant Head Coach Maurice Carthon (2002) and Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith (2003) in Detroit.
• Chiefs QBs coach Jim Zorn was the position coach for Arizona WRs coach Frank Reich when he played QB for the Detroit Lions
• Kansas City LB Edgar Jones
and Arizona TE Todd Heap were teammates with the Baltimore Ravens
(2007-10). Jones played tight end along with Heap in 2009.
• Arizona Football Administration Coordinator Matt Caracciolo is the brother of Chiefs Football Operations Assistant Tom Caracciolo.
• Arizona Defensive Line Coach Ron Aiken coached the D-line at Iowa while Kansas City QB Ricky Stanzi
(2006-10), TE Tony Moeaki (2005-09) and OL Rob Bruggeman
(2004-08) were on the roster.
• Chiefs CB Brandon Flowers was a teammate of Arizona Offensive Quality Control Coach Chad Grimm (2004-06) and TE Jeff King (2004-05) at Virginia Tech.
• Kansas City Quarterbacks Coach Jim Zorn was the Offensive Coordinator at Utah State when Arizona Running Backs Coach Tommie Robinson held the same position for the Aggies (1992-93).
• Kansas City LB Derrick Johnson (2001-04) and RB Jamaal Charles (2005-07) were teammates of Arizona C Lyle Sendlein
(2003-06) at Texas.
• Kansas City DL Allen Bailey
(2007-10), T Eric Winston
(2002-05) and T Leon Williams (2002-05) were teammates at Miami with Arizona WR LaRon Byrd (2007-11), DE Calais Campbell (2004-07) and RB Javarris James (2006-09).
• Kansas City OL Donald Stephenson
was a teammate of Arizona CB Jammell Flemming at Oklahoma (2008).
• Arizona DB Marshay Green (2006-09) and T Bobby Massie
(2009-11) played at Ole Miss alongside Kansas City G Darryl Harris
(2003-07), RB Dexter McCluster (2006-09), DL Jerrell Powe (2008-10) and S Kendrick Lewis
• Kansas City CB Javier Arenas
and Arizona DB Rashad Johnson were teammates in the Alabama secondary (2006-08).
• Chiefs CB Stanford Routt and LS Thomas Gafford played at Houston along with Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb (2003-04).
• Kansas City LB Tamba Hali
played at Penn State (2002-05) with Arizona G Rich Ohrnberger
(2004-05) and T Levi Brown (2002-05).
• Kansas City DE Tyson Jackson
(2004-08) and DE Glenn Dorsey (2004-07) spent time at LSU with Arizona CB Patrick Peterson (2008-10) and WR Early Doucett (2004-07).
• Kansas City WR Jon Baldwin was an offensive teammate of Arizona RB LaRod Stephens-Howling
at Pittsburgh (2008).
• Chiefs CB Jalil Brown is a native of Phoenix, Ariz., where he attended South Mountain High School.
• Chiefs Area Scout Aundrae Harris is a native of Phoenix, Ariz., and graduated from Northern Arizona.
• Arizona RB William Powell (2009-10) and LB Reggie Walker (2005-08) played at Kansas State. Walker grew up in Boonville, Mo., before moving to Sacramento, Calif., before high school.
• Cardinals Assistant Athletic Trainer Jeff Herndon is a native of Hallsville, Mo., and graduated from Missouri.