The 2012 Chiefs have established starters at nearly every position (and guys like Jeff Allen and Dontari Poe waiting in the wings at several more). Friday's roster cuts, practice squad appointments and possible free agent acquisitions will give us a much better insight into how Scott Pioli sees the 2012 campaign and the future of this team. I have plenty of questions...
1. Who the #*@(%! will play fullback?
I'm glad we drafted Bannon over Henry Hynoski and let McClain walk. So, DiMarco, O'Connell, a free agent or nobody?
2. Who will be the surprise cut?
Is Lilja's veteran experience alone worth a roster spot? Is Allen Bailey expendable? Is Terrance Copper as safe as we all believe? What are we supposed to do with Andy Studebaker? If Pioli intends to sign Dwayne Bowe to long-term deal, just how valuable is a player like Steve Breaston? Could an abysmal showing at Green Bay snuff out the dream of Stanzi?
3. Will the lack of Safety depth affect the final roster?
I'm glad Pioli signed a 3rd safety worth putting on the field. Abe Elam has only missed 1 start in the last 3 years. Romeo's Cover 3 means three safeties will see significant playing time. Is Travis Daniels that safety? Could injury concerns mean a stay of execution for Donald Washington or push Pioli into signing a veteran FA like Brodney Pool?
Continued after the jump...
4. Can anything be done to address the lack of depth at CB?
Many of us are penciling in Jacques Reeves onto the 53-man roster. Are there any other options?
5. How committed is Pioli to his homegrown development projects?
Scott Pioli loves to develop talent in-house. Sometimes project players work out for him (Tom Brady, Dan Connolly, Jovan Belcher) but more often than not—they don't make it. Pioli already scrapped the Shane Bannon experiment. Which project player will he pull the plug on next: Brandon Bair, Jerrell Powe, David Mims, Darryl Harris or Gabe Miller?
6. Who earns the #3 TE job?
Steve Maneri or Jake O'Connell? I still can't believe we didn't pursue Martellus Bennett in free agency.
7. Could a surprise cut of a veteran QB tempt Pioli?
Vince Young has already been cut. What if someone decent like Garrard or McCoy was available? Or someone good?
Guesses, Speculation and Gossip
Here are my wild ass guesses as to who makes the final roster. Feel free to argue your point of view in the comments section.
MYSTERY INJURED RESERVE (1)
(Depending on what Allen Bailey's funk is about look for him here too)
SURPRISE CUT (1)
Cory Greenwood ILB
I have Greenwood getting edged out by former Raven's special teams ace Edgar Jones who also plays a little OLB.
ODD MEN OUT (13)
- Lucas Patterson C (Practice Squad 2011)
- Rich Ranglin LG
- Darryl Harris RG (Practice Squad 2010-2011)
- Patrick DiMarco FB
- Josh Bellamy WR
- Mikail Baker CB
- Rob Bruggeman C (Practice Squad 2011)
- Neiko Thorpe CB
- Jake O'Connell TE (7th Round Pick 2009)
- Chandler Fenner CB
- Donald Washington S (4th Round Pick 2009)
- Terrance Parks S
- Leon Williams ILB (4th Round Pick 2006, Cleveland Browns)
PRACTICE SQUAD (8)
- Brandon Bair DE (1 accrued season, but zero games on the 45-man active roster)
- Tysyn Hartman S
- Gabe Miller OLB (5th Round Pick 2011, on IR for 2011 = zero games on active roster)
- Alex Tanney QB
- Jerome Long DE (7th Round Pick 2012)
- Nate Eachus RB
- Jamar Newsome WR (Practice Squad 2011)
- Junior Hemingway WR
LAST FIVE IN
- Allen Bailey DE
- Jacques Reeves CB
- Travis Daniels S
- Edgar Jones ILB
- David Mims RT
FIRST FIVE OUT
- Cory Greenwood ILB
- Gabe Miller OLB
- Brandon Bair DE
- Jake O'Connell TE
- Darryl Harris G/C
FINAL 53 MAN ROSTER AND DEPTH CHART