The Kansas City Chiefs have a lot of connections to the Denver Broncos. Whether it's former Colts having played with Peyton Manning, former Patriots spending time with Matt Cassel in New England, or Broncos familiar with Brady Quinn, there's some history between these two teams.
Here are all your Chiefs-Broncos connections, courtesy of the Chiefs game release:
- Broncos Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy attended training camp in Philadelphia playing quarterback in 1998 while Chiefs Director of Pro Personnel Ray Farmer played linebacker for the Eagles (1996-98) and DBs Coach Emmitt Thomas was coaching (1995-98).
- Denver Tight Ends Coach Clancy Barone (2007-08) spent time inSan Diego with Chiefs LB Brandon Siler (2007-10).
- Denver Tight Ends Coach Clancy Barone (2004-06) and LB Keith Brooking (1998-2008) spent time in Atlanta with Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09), Director of Pro Personnel Ray Farmer (2002-05) and Special Teams Coach Tom McMahon (2007-08).
- Chiefs S Abram Elam (2011) spent time in Dallas with Broncos LB Keith Brooking (2009-11).
- Denver Assistant Director of College Scouting Lenny McGill played in Atlanta (1997) with Chiefs Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant (1997).
- Chiefs T Eric Winston (2006-11) spent time in Houston with Denver Linebackers Coach Richard Smith (2006-08), WR Trindon Holliday (2011) and TE Joel Dreessen (2007-11).
- Denver Linebackers Coach Richard Smith (2005) and DT Kevin Vickerson (2005-06) spent time in Miami with Chiefs DB Travis Daniels (2005-07).
- Denver Linebackers Coach Richard Smith (2003-04) spent time in Detroit with Chiefs Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith (2003).
- Denver Linebackers Coach Richard Smith (1997-2002) spent time in San Francisco with Chiefs Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant (2000).
- Denver Director of Player Personnel Matt Russell (2006-08) spent time in Philadelphia with Chiefs Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith (2008) and LB Andy Studebaker (2008 - practice squad).
- Denver Director of Player Peronnel Matt Russell (2000-05), Director of Pro Peronnel Keith Kidd (2002-04), National Scout Adam Peters (2003-08), CB Tony Carter (2010) and C Dan Koppen (2003-11) spent time in New England with Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli (2000-08), Head Coach Romeo Crennel (2001-04), Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll (2000-06), Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant (2001-03), Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith (2000-02), National Scout Jim Nagy (2002-08), Assistant General Manager Joel Collier (2005-07), Director of Player Development Katie Douglass (2003-08), Regional Scout Kyle O'Brien (2002-11),QB Matt Cassel (2005-09) and G Russ Hochstein (2002-08).
- Chiefs Head Coach Romeo Crennel (2000, 2005-08), Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll (2009-10), S Abram Elam (2009-10), RB Peyton Hillis (2010-11), QB Brady Quinn (2007-09), DE ShaunSmith (2007-08), DB Travis Daniels (2008), Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken (1999-2009) spent time in Cleveland with Broncos Director of Pro Peronnel Keith Kidd (1999-2001), Director of Team Administration Mark Thewes (1999-2004) and S Mike Adams (2007-11).
- Denver DT Justin Bannan (2006-09), RB Willis McGahee (2007-10), S Jim Leonhard (2008) and WR Matthew Willis (2007-08) spent time in Baltimore with Chiefs WR Terrance Copper (2008), LB Edgar Jones (2007-11) and C Bryan Mattison (2010-11).
- Denver DT Justin Bannan spent time in St. Louis with Chiefs Special Teams Coach Tom McMahon (2009-11), Special Teams Quality Control Coach Derius Swinton (2009-11) and C Bryan Mattison (2011).
- Chiefs DE Shaun Smith (2009) spent time in Cincinnati with Broncos WR Andre Caldwell (2008-11).
- Chiefs Head Athletic Trainer Dave Price (1996-2005) spent time with the New York Jets with Broncos TE Joel Dreessen (2005).
- Chiefs DE Ropati Pitoitua (2009-11) spent time with the New York Jets with Broncos S Jim Leonhard (2009-11).
- Chiefs Offensive Quality Control Coach Jim Bob Cooter (2009-11) and G/C Ryan Lilja (2004-09) spent time in Indianapolis with Broncos RB Chris Gronkowski (2011), QB Peyton Manning (1998-2011),WR Brandon Stokley (2003-06) and RB Lance Ball (2008).
- Broncos CB Tracy Porter (2008-11) spent time in New Orleans with Chiefs Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (2006-08), Defensive Assistant/Assistant Linebackers Coach Adam Zimmer (2006-09) and WR Terrance Copper (2006-08).
- Chiefs Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell Jr. (2009-11) spent time with the New York Giants with Broncos WR Brandon Stokley (2011) and TE Jacob Tamme (2008-11).
- Denver Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio played LB for the Chiefs in 1987-88. He earned a degree in Political Science from Kansas while playing for the Chiefs.
- Chiefs Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Brent Salazar interned in Denver in 2005.
- Chiefs QB Brady Quinn spent the last two seasons in Denver (2010-11).
- Chiefs G Russ Hochstein spent three seasons with the Broncos (2009-11).
- Chiefs RB Peyton Hillis played in Denver in 2008-09.
- Denver Tight Ends Coach Clancy Barone (1993) and Secondary Coach Ron Milus (1999) spent time at Texas A&M with Chiefs Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Clark (1990-2003).
- Broncos LB Von Miller (2007-10) spent time at Texas A&M with Chiefs RB Cyrus Gray (2008-11).
- Denver Quarterbacks Coach Adam Gase (2000-02) spent time at LSU with Chiefs Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (2001).
- Denver DE Robert Ayers (2005-08), P Britton Colquitt (2005-08) and DL Malik Jackson (2008-11) spent time at Tennessee with Chiefs Offensive Quality Control Coach Jim Bob Cooter (2002-08), Special Teams Quality Control Coach Derius Swinton (2007-08) and S Eric Berry (2007-09).
- Broncos S David Bruton (2005-08) spent time at Notre Dame with Chiefs QB Brady Quinn (2003-07) and Tight Ends Coach Bernie Parmalee (2005-09).
- Denver WR Andre Caldwell (2004-07) spent time at Florida with Chiefs LB Brandon Siler (2004-06).
- Chiefs WR Jon Baldwin (2008-10) spent time at Pittsburgh with Denver C/G C.J. Davis (2005-08).
- Denver T Orlando Franklin (2007-10) played at Miami with Chiefs DL Allen Bailey (2007-10).
- Denver LB D.J. Williams (2000-03) spent time at Miami with Chiefs T Eric Winston (2002-06).
- Chiefs LB Justin Houston (2007-10) spent time at Georgia with Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno (2005-08).
John Rieger-US PRESSWIRE
- Broncos Strength and Conditioning Coach Luke Richesson is from Kansas City, Mo. Richesson played safety for Kansas (1993-96) before he interned in strength and conditioning for KU in 1997.
- Broncos CB Chris Harris played at Kansas for four years (2007-10).
- Chiefs P Dustin Colquitt's brother, Britton Colquitt, punts for the Broncos.
- Broncos Head Coach John Fox coached the secondary at Kansas in 1983.
- Denver Special Teams Coordinator Jeff Rodgers coached in the same role at Kansas State in 2008.
- Broncos Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Jason George was a graduate assistant in the strength and conditioning department at Kansas in 1997-98.
- Denver Defensive Line Coach Jay Rodgers spent time at Dodge City C.C. (Kan.) in 2003 and Missouri State in 2004.
- Denver RB Lance Ball and Chiefs LB Tamba Hali both attended Teaneck High School in New Jersey and spent two years together (2000-01).
- Chiefs DT Anthony Toribio and Broncos RB Willis McGahee spent their high school years together at Miami Central (1999-2002).
- Denver LB Steven Johnson played at Kansas (2008-11).