FanPost

Defending Kansas City from Seattle

As many of you can guess from my screen name, I'm a displaced chief fan. I live in Seattle and like many displaced fans, I'm constantly put on the defensive with little to no support. If you're tired of reading about the Winston and the Chief reaction, then keep scrolling. If you're interested to hear what other fans outside of KC are saying and my (what I believe) well defended response, feel free to read through this email thread. (Is it called a 'thread'?) I've put the emails in order so that you can read better. And I've obviously changed the names. If you have any ideas how I can better defend KC from so far outside the heartland or see errors (not disagreements but errors) please let me know in the comments. And most importantly PLEASE comment and let me know if this is the stand I should take on my podcast Friday. Most of my listeners are Seahawk fans and I want to make sure that I represent us well. Thanks~

From: Friend
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:42 AM
To: Me
Subject: are you the commentor on Bro Sports FB page?

If so, what is wrong with how Winston said that? I can’t FB from school, so I want to argue this NOW.

And congrats on evening the donut count.

From: Me
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:00 PM
To: Friend
Subject: RE: are you the commentor on Bro Sports FB page?

I am. I’ll reply when I have more time to rant. J

From: Friend
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:35 PM
To: Me
Subject: RE: are you the commentor on Bro Sports FB page?

Just a sad little Chiefs fan who is embarrassed that your lot got called out for their truly disgusting and pathetic behavior, huh? I still say he was spot on with what he said and it was a message that deserved to get out, so I even was impressed with how he got the media to have to take it.

From: Me
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:30 PM
To: Friend
Subject: RE: are you the commentor on Bro Sports FB page?

First off, I have no problem with 99% of what he said. I LOVE that he put his neck out there for Matt, his QB. But when he called out 70k he called out all fans and that’s egregious.

Your email is exactly why I have a problem with the way it is handled. Me and other dedicated chief fans that have been supporting a really bad team are being lumped in with the disgusting behavior of a few. Why should I be embarrassed or have to defend myself? Because one man’s interprets of ALL cheers that occurred? This is ridiculous. I have to stick up for the crappy play of this team every week and now I have to defend myself? Of course I’m pissed about that. I didn’t cheer or boo. I was upstairs making a sandwich while commercials came on and I’m being called out and embarrassed without a single voice. No show is offering a differing insight from someone that was there. Have you heard from anyone else that was actually there? I spoken with MANY through Arrowhead Pride. I’ve also found raw footage of play. Raw footage that NOBODY is showing. After RESEARCH, I’ve come to the conclusion that it is impossible to interpret ALL cheers as one disgusting behavior. Jamaal Charles first down: CHEER! Matt Cassel sits up: CHEER! Cassel walks off the field under his own power: CHEER (like any other team would.) Brady comes on to the field: CHEER! Were people cheering the injury? I’m sure they were. Were the majority of fans cheering: Not even close. I’m not going to try to guess a number because I’d be just as wrong as Winston was. But to throw an entire fanbase under the bus is wrong. (A fanbase that is one of the most dedicated, that continues to fill the stadium even though they haven’t won a playoff game in nearly 2 decades.)

I can forgive Winston for saying 70k. He has since changed that part of it (and it’s the only part I ever had a problem with). What I CAN”T forgive is the media acting like sharks with blood in the water. They are sensationalizing this. Treating something as fact that can easily be disproven – that all chiefs fans were cheering Matt’s injury. They’re not using “all” but they are implying all when they don’t use “some” or “a few” which is much more realistic. Realistic doesn’t sell papers.

Mike and Mike, my favorite show on ESPN, sounds like a bunch of idiots. They can’t even stay on topic. They keep talking about cheering big hits… this was far from a big hit. Cris Carter has the biggest gall today to compare it to Corey Stringer’s death. ARE YOU F-ING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!? If that’s not the most ridiculous sensationalism… How am I supposed to take ESPN seriously? Come on, Man! They can’t talk about the issue at hand which is a fan base that is completely frustrated watching their team consistently outplay other teams but lose. The chiefs called 6 pass plays in the entire first half. Even the coaching staff has lost faith in Cassel. We could have won the game 24-9. One fumble in the endzone. One TD called back for penalty. One defensive TD ERRONIOUSLY taken away when Flacco is ruled to have stopped forward progress in the midst of a fumble that the chiefs recover in the endzone. All around frustration! Mentioned anywhere? No.

When Cassel got hurt. It went to commercial. I went and made a sandwich (without cheering). But I’m incredibly excited! We still have a chance to beat the Ravens and now we also get a chance to see what we have in Quinn while we do it. Why wouldn’t I be excited about this? I’m not going to be happy Cassel is hurt or wish for him to be out for a long time. But guess what? I saw the play. It didn’t look bad at all. His head never made contact with anything. I thought he got the wind knocked out of him. When a player goes down am I supposed to sit in front of the screen with tissue in my hand and start praying? Come on! Players get hurt on damn near every play. And 99% of the time, they are fine.

I’ve met Matt. Helluva nice guy. Because of Arrowhead Pride, I met somebody that knows the Cassels personally and I’ve sent him a note hoping that he gets better and that I’m pulling for him. He messaged me back last night and told me that Matt appreciated the note. Did ESPN do that? Did the people giving me s- do that? So to everyone condemning chief fans - get off your high horse! This is the stupidest story ever! It’s not a story on what happened. Everything you see is an extension of one man’s emotionally propelled one-sided interpretation. And the few people that actually cheered… obviously f-ing idiots that don’t deserve defending.

Rant complete.

Keep Rockin’

From: Friend
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 3:32 PM
To: Me
Subject: RE: are you the commentor on Bro Sports FB page?

I can’t wait for the podcast to hear this emotion come out.

Here is where I have issue with your take there:

"We are athletes," Winston said. "We are not gladiators. This isn't the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money to come in here, and I believe they can boo. They can cheer. They can do whatever they want. We're lucky to play this game. A game. It's hard economic times, and they still pay the money to do this, but when somebody gets hurt there are long-lasting ramifications to the game we play -- long-lasting ramifications.

"I've already come to the understanding that I won't live as long because I play this game, and that's OK. That's a choice I've made. That's a choice all of us have made. But when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel, it's sickening. It's 100 percent sickening, and I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, and I've never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there."

"I get emotional about it because these guys work their butts off," Winston said. "Matt Cassel hasn't done anything to you people, hasn't done anything to the media writers that kill him, hasn't done anything wrong to the people that come out here and cheer him. If he's not the best quarterback, he's not the best quarterback and that's OK. But he's a person, and he got knocked out in a game, and we've got 70,000 cheering that he got knocked out.

"Boo him all you want, boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus, tell me I'm doing a bad job. Say I got to protect him more, but if you're one of those people that were out there cheering or even smiled when he got knocked out, I just want to let you know and I want everybody to know that I think it's sickening and disgusting."

Nowhere in there does he call out ALL Chiefs fans or ALL of Kansas City. He did say 70,000 and then later clarified on that point:

Winston, meanwhile, offered this clarification on Monday: “I didn't mean all 70,000 [fans] were cheering. It might have been 7,000. It might have been 700. It's still too many.”

But he also goes through the trouble of making it pretty clear that he is speaking specifically to the people who were in fact cheering when Cassel got hurt. He never calls out ALL fans.

And yes, I do think you should be embarrassed – because a group that you associate yourself with in general acted in a horrible, disgusting way. You didn’t do it and you wouldn’t have done it, but your group acted badly and that’s embarrassing all the same. You think people at Penn State who never had even heard of Jerry Sandusky weren’t embarrassed and a bit ashamed to be connected in anyway with that when it came out? I get embarrassed as a Seahawk fan everytime I see a moron still whining about the phantom bad calls in the Super Bowl they got blown out in. I get embarrassed as a Mariners fan when they still boo ARod when he comes to bat. That’s part of being a fan. Are you gonna pretend that if the big story coming out of Sunday was how eight Chiefs fans saved a group of kids from a burning orphanage on their way home from Arrowhead that you wouldn’t feel pride and satisfaction about that story even though you weren’t actually there? Of course you would. It’s all part of the package.

I also think you need to make better sandwiches. You SHOULD be cheering when finish one of those! J

Description: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgSPLzkUScgjNcXHW8ZYGHsKF8n4A66r_7-UovATDDrP43WPwk

When I was driving home from the volleyball game last night I was listening to Rob Dibble and Amy Van Dyken and they were inviting and taking calls from people who were there and from when I was listening – well, it was not the best choices to represent all Chiefs fans that you could find. One guy said it was only some KC fans cheering and the real issue was that Arrowhead was actually filled with Ravens fans. The next guy said he didn’t see or hear anyone cheering and then only after being asked again did he admit he actually had not been there. A third guy tried to justify by saying Kansas City fans were good fans because they had all cheered for Miguel Cabrera at the Royals game when he was going for the triple crown. All in all it was not an impressive counter argument in the slightest.

But the issue at hand is NOT a fan base frustrated with losing. THAT is what Winston talks about as giving fans the absolute right to boo and to complain and all that. But it becomes a whole other thing when it’s CHEERING about someone getting HURT. That is disgusting and sick. And it is whether it’s one person or seventy thousand. And it clearly was A LOT more than one person (and more than 700 and more than 7000). That was some loud cheering when it happened. Are they idiots who don’t deserve defending? Certainly. Is the media to blame for trying to lump all of the Chiefs fans in together? Partially, but the Chiefs fans already lumped themselves together by all being Chiefs fans. And there are probably idiots for every team who cheer when players they don’t like get hurt – but there are never so many of them that they become the majority of the crowd and become a storyline with their idiot behaviors.

At any rate – I love ya and this is a lot of fun. Can’t wait to hear the podcast.

From: Me
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 4:35 PM
To: Friend
Subject: RE: are you the commentor on Bro Sports FB page?

Sorry. We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I said I have absolutely zero issue with what Winston said after he fixed it. And what I like most is that he is willing to stick up for Cassel. That’s what he is paid to do and that’s what makes him a good lineman. But this was a huge story on Arrowhead Pride before it got national media attention. I had a problem with his initial comment which is still the one getting attention and with the way it’s being worded on ESPN shows.

“I do think you should be embarrassed – because a group that you associate yourself with in general acted in a horrible, disgusting way” is a horrible argument. And why would I feel pride if people that like the same team I do saved orphans? If it was a player on the team, sure. But two people having similar interests does not bind us for life. I’m also a fan of Batman. Should I be embarrassed or guilt ridden because a psycho that is also a fan of batman shoots up a theater? I’m a teacher. It’s something I choose to do. Should I be embarrassed at every story that comes out about a teacher making poor choices? If I lived my life being embarrassed every time someone I had something in common with did something stupid I’d live a life of embarrassment. I’m embarrassed because I was called out. And the media refuses to say “some chief fans.” The simple word “some” would erase both the embarrassment and anger I personally feel.

“That was some loud cheering when it happened.” Charles’s amazing run for a first down is simultaneous. It is impossible to guess how many people are cheering and what they are cheering for. Even one person cheering an injury is disgusting and too many… sure. But is it a national story? I guarantee at least one person cheers every time a major player goes down --- sure, usually it’s an opposing player and/or it’s fantasy football related… but I think you’d agree that doesn’t matter. Wrong is wrong.But have you never been happy a player that you are playing against in fantasy football was injured and either couldn’t be started or will score no more points for the opposing team? Come on? Really? Of course we don’t want him to have any long term life changing injuries… but out for the rest of the game… you’re not happy about that? Really? Never? Hmmm…

To be fair, here’s a point for the other side (I’m no politician)

When watching the video, the only thing that seems odd is how the cheering continues through people working on Matt. If it was Charles or Bowe the crowd would have been deathly silent. The cheering is quiet compared to the cheering that occurs when Quinn comes on or when Cassel walks off but cheering definitely happens. I’m not in denial and I won’t defend those morons.

“But the issue at hand is NOT a fan base frustrated with losing.” Partially disagree. If the chiefs were 4-0 on their way to becoming 5-0, not one chief fan would have cheered Cassel’s injury in the first place. The idiots cheering were not doing so because they dislike Matt as a person. Kansas Citians LOVE the Cassels. He’s a great guy. I hope he stays on the team as a backup quarterback for a long time.

“And there are probably idiots for every team who cheer when players they don’t like get hurt – but there are never so many of them that they become the majority of the crowd and become a storyline with their idiot behaviors.” Deathly WRONG! Any words attempting to quantify the amount of people cheering can not be accurate. However, the word majority can be disproven beyond reasonable doubt. This is my main problem with how the media is pushing this idea and widely accepting this as fact. Raw video and audio evidence of only on-field noise easily shows WAY less than the majority cheering. Fans cheering Cassel was not mentioned on ANY broadcast of the game. Only one broadcast attributes it to Quinn coming into the game. WHY? Because it was not noticeable UNTIL Winston’s comments. This proves that it was WAY less than majority. Like I said before, this is not a story of what happened but a reaction to one man’s emotionally propelled interpretation.

I think for the most part we are in agreement. We’re just wordsmithing… You said majority… but I also don’t think you believe that. If you do then this is the only part that we majorly disagree. You think I should be embarrassed. And I am but for a reason I think is correctable and unjust. Mainly to avoid comments like this one Just a sad little Chiefs fan who is embarrassed that your lot got called out for their truly disgusting and pathetic behavior, huh?” Wrong is wrong. J Love ya too.

Keep Rockin’

This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of Arrowhead Pride's writers or editors. It does reflect the views of this particular fan though, which is as important as the views of Arrowhead Pride writers or editors.

X

forgot?

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Join Arrowhead Pride

You must be a member of Arrowhead Pride to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Arrowhead Pride. You should read them.

Join Arrowhead Pride

You must be a member of Arrowhead Pride to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Arrowhead Pride. You should read them.

Spinner

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker