The Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs should already be quite familiar with one another given that the AFC West rivals face each other twice each season. But the two teams also share a number of players and coaches in common with one another.
For Stanford Routt, it's a chance to face his former teammates. For coaches like Steve Hoffman or Al Saunders, the Chiefs represent a former employer with many friends on the other side. Here's the complete list courtesy of the Chiefs media release for Week 8:
• Oakland Special Teams Coordinator Steve Hoffman coached in the same capacity in Kansas City for three years (2009-11).
• Raiders Senior Offensive Assistant Al Saunders spent ﬁve seasons (2001-05) in Kansas City as the Assistant Head coach/Offensive Coordinator. Earlier in his career, he spent 10 seasons with the Chiefs as the Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach (1989-98).
• Oakland Director of Player Engagement Lamonte Winston spent 17 seasons (1993-09) in Kansas City as the Executive Director of Player Development.
• Chiefs CB Stanford Routt played seven years in Oakland (2005-11).
• Oakland Director of Player Personnel Joey Clinkscales (1995-11) and Quarterbacks Coach John DeFilippo (2010) spent time with the New York Jets with several Chiefs: General Manager Scott Pioli (1997-99), Head Coach Romeo Crennel (1997-99), Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll (2007-08), Assistant Head Coach Maurice Carthon (1997-00), Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant (1998-99), Tight Ends Coach Bernie Parmalee (1999-00), Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith (1995-99), S Abram Elam (2007-08), DE Ropati Pitoitua (2009-11) and Head Athletic Trainer Dave Price (1996-05).
• Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie (1994-11), Director of College Scouting Shaun Herock (1993-11), Linebackers Coach Johnny Holland (1995-99), DB Pat Lee (2008-11) and DB Matt Giordano (2009) crossed paths in Green Bay with Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas (1999) and DT Anthony Toribio (2008-09).
• Oakland Head Coach Dennis Allen spent the 2011 season in Denver with Chiefs QB Brady Quinn and G Russ Hochstein.
• Chiefs G Ryan Lilja (2004-09) spent time in Indianapolis with Raiders DB Matt Giordano (2005-08) and LB Philip Wheeler (2008-11).
• Oakland Head Coach Dennis Allen (2002-05), Offensive Coordinator Greg Knapp (2004-06), Special Teams Coordinator Steve Hoffman (2006), Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Al Miller (1997-2005) and Offensive Quality Control Coach Justin Grifﬁ th (2003-07 running back) spent time in Atlanta with Kansas City Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas (2002-09) and Director of Pro Personnel Ray Farmer (2002-05).
• Oakland Head Coach Dennis Allen (2006-10) spent time in New Orleans with Kansas City Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (2006-08), Defensive Assistant/Assistant Linebackers Coach Adam Zimmer (2006-09) and WR Terrance Copper (2006-08).
• Oakland Special Teams Coordinator Steve Hoffman (2007-08) spent time in Miami with Chiefs WR Terrance Copper (2005-07).
• Raiders Special Teams Coordinator Steve Hoffman spent time with the Dallas Cowboys with Chiefs Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (2002-05) and WR Terrance Copper (2004-05).
• Raiders Offensive Coordinator Greg Knapp (2010-11), Offensive Line Coach Frank Pollack (2007-11), Linebackers Coach Johnny Holland (2006-10), QB Matt Leinart (2010-11) and G Mike Brisiel (2007-11) spent time in Houston with Chiefs T Eric Winston (2006-11).
• Raiders Offensive Coordinator Greg Knapp (2009), Offensive Quality Control Coach Justin Grifﬁ th (2009), Linebackers Coach Johnny Holland (2001-02), Defensive Backs Coach Clayton Lopez (1999-03) and RB Owen Schmitt (2008-09) spent time in Seattle with Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Clark (2004-09) and Quarterbacks Coach Jim Zorn (2001-07).
• Oakland Linebackers Coach Johnny Holland spent the 2003 season in Detroit with Kansas City Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith.
• Raiders Defensive Backs Coach Clayton Lopez (2009-11) spent time in St. Louis with Chiefs Special Teams Coach Tom McMahon (2009-11), Special Teams Quality Control Coach Derius Swinton (2009-11) and C Bryan Mattison (2011).
• Oakland Senior Offensive Assistant Al Saunders (2009-10) spent time in Baltimore with Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach Jim Zorn (2010), LB Edgar Jones (2009-10) and C Bryan Mattison (2009-10).
• Chiefs Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Brent Salazar was in Denver with Raiders G Cooper Carlisle in 2005.
• Chiefs WR Terrance Copper spent part of the 2005 season in Dallas with Raiders LS Jon Condo.
• Chiefs WR Steve Breaston (2007-10) and Assistant Head Coach Maurice Carthon (2007-08) spent time in Arizona with Raiders QB Matt Leinart (2006-09).
• Raiders DT Richard Seymour (2001-08) spent time in New England with several Chiefs: General Manager Scott Pioli (2000-08), Assistant General Manager Joel Collier (2005-07), Head Coach Romeo Crennel (2001-04), Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll (2000-06), Defensive Line Coach Anthony Pleasant (2001-03), National Scout Jim Nagy (2002-08), Director of Player Development Katie Douglass (2003-08), QB Matt Cassel (2005-08), Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith (2000-02), Regional Scout Kyle O'Brien (2002-11), Area Scout Jay Muraco (2000-08), G Russ Hochstein (2002-08).
• Chiefs Offensive Line Coach Jack Bicknell Jr. (2009-11) spent time with the New York Giants with Raiders DE David Tollefson (2007-11) and WR Derek Hagan (2008-10).
• Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach Jim Zorn (2008-09) was the head coach in Washington when Oakland DE Andre Carter (2006-10) played for the Redskins.
• Oakland DB Coye Francies (2009-10) spent time in Cleveland with Chiefs Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll (2009-10), Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken (2009-10), S Abram Elam (2009-10), RB Peyton Hillis (2010) and QB Brady Quinn (2009-10).
• Chiefs DB Travis Daniels spent the 2006-07 seasons in Miami with Raiders WR Derek Hagan.
• Chiefs Defensive Quality Control Coach Otis Smith and LB Andy Studebaker (practice squad) were in Philadelphia during the 2008 season with Raiders CB Joselio Hanson.
• Chiefs Football Operations Assistant Tom Caracciolo is the brother of Pete Caracciolo, who works in Oakland's Football Operations department.
• Kansas City Salary Cap/Contract Analyst Brandt Tilis spent three summers (2004-06) as a Football Operations intern with Oakland.
• Raiders College Scout Trey Scott is a Kansas City, Kan., native. He played quarterback at Kansas State (2007-09).
• Oakland Assistant Special Teams Coach Keith Burns coached the secondary at Kansas State in 2010.
• Raiders Wide Receivers Coach Ted Gilmore coached the tight ends at Kansas in 1999. Gilmore grew up in Wichita, Kan., where he was a three sport athlete at Wichita South High School.
• Raiders DE David Tollefson played at Northwest Missouri State, earning Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior in 2005.
• Chiefs WR Devon Wylie played at Granite Bay High School in Granite Bay, Calif., with Raiders LB Miles Burris (2004-06).