Disclaimer: I want the Chiefs to draft a QB in the first round this year
I just want to introduce myself before I get into this post. My name is Justin Prawat and I have been a Chiefs fan as long as I can remember, even though I am from Indiana. My first memories of them were with Marcus Allen and Joe Montana leading the team to the playoffs. I vividly reminder the bitter (cold) loss to the Colts in the playoffs when the Chief's kicker (who must not be named) missed three field goals. I cried when he missed the last one.
Anyway, I will never give up on them but here are a few thoughts about this season and upcoming offseason.
Teams in Trouble
The Cowboys have been struggling a lot. Every year they have "Chargers Syndrome". I am sure you all know what that means but for those of you who don't, it simply means that they choke. While you might be able to pin it on several different things, the blame might eventually fall on Tony Romo. There was a whole conversation between the players and owner, Jerry Jones, this offseason about "the window closing". The truth is that their window is closing and here are some facts:
- Romo hasn't done anything to get them through the playoffs
- Jerry Jones isn't afraid to spend money but expects results
- Jerry Jones isn't afraid to move up in the draft to get good players
- Jerry Jones spent a billion dollars to facilitate a championship caliber team
If the trend in Dallas continues, I really believe they will cut Romo loose and draft a QB in the first round.
I believe a lot of these things are true of the San Diego Chargers but I don't think they will get rid of Phillip Rivers any time soon (I am not sure what his contract situation looks like).
If Scott Pioli is still GM this offseason, I honestly believe he will find every excuse to NOT draft a QB in the first round but would rather go after a veteran so that they can "win now". This would all be a last gasp to save his job. Drafting a rookie could take too much developmental time and Pioli cannot use that excuse anymore.
So, if you had a choice in some of these veteran QB's, who would you pick?
- Tony Romo (It's possible)
- Phillip Rivers (Sort of a reach)
- Tim Tebow (I know, I know... but imagine Tebow and Jamaal running the ball together)
- Sam Bradford (Rams haven't had much success and he is talented but they might want to go another direction)
- Michael Vick (If the trend in Philly keeps up, he will be back out on the street)
- Brian Hoyer (Obvious Patriot connections)
- Carson Palmer (Raiders could take Barkley or Geno Smith before the Chiefs)
Which QB would you take?
Tony Romo (169 votes)
Phillip Rivers (122 votes)
Tim Tebow (25 votes)
Sam Bradford (228 votes)
Michael Vick (42 votes)
Brian Hoyer (9 votes)
Carson Palmer (5 votes)
600 total votes