With OC Chan Gailey leaving KC and heading to Buffalo, there are plenty of connections between these two teams. Most notably, that includes QB Tyler Thigpen.
With a hat tip to the Chiefs game release, here are all the connections this week:
- Chiefs GM Scott Pioli (88-89) and assistant GM Joel Collier (88-89) were graduate assistant at Syracuse. Collier was born in Buffalo, NY.
- Collier's father, Joe Collier, served as the Bills head coach (66-68), leading the club to the 1968 AFL Championship game vs. Kansas City.
- Buffalo head coach Chan Gailey (2008), TEs coach Bob Bicknell (07-09), OL coach Joe D'Alessandris (08-09), offensive coordinator/RBs coach Curtis Modkins (2008) and offensive quality control coach Kevin Patullo (07-08) all coached with Kansas City.
- Bills director of college scouting Chuck Cook held the same position for the Chiefs (97-09).
- Buffalo QB Tyler Thigpen played for Kansas City (07-09).
- Buffalo OL Colin Brown spent time with the Chiefs (08), played collegiately at Missouri and is a native of Braymer, Mo.
- Kansas City offensive quality control coach Nick Sirianni is a native of Jamestown, NY.
- Bills special teams coordinator Bruce DeHaven is a native of Trousdale, Kan. and coached at Kansas (79-91).
- Buffalo ILB coach DeMontie Cross played (94-96) and coached (98-99) at Missouri.
- Bills assistant to the head coach Daryl Daye coached at Missouri Southern (06-09).
- Bills QB Brad Smith played collegiately at Missouri.
- Bills P Brian Moorman is a native of Wichita, Kan. and played collegiately at Pittsburgh State.
- Kansas City QB coach and Buffalo assistant special teams coach Stan Kwan coached together for the Detroit Lions (98-00).
- KC pro personnel scout Mike Borgonzi had a tryout with Buffalo (2002).