First, the Chiefs beat the Vikings in this game called the Super Bowl in January of 1970. It was a long time and some of you younger folks (uh, like me) weren't alive when this happened.
Second, Jared Allen. In one of the biggest blockbuster trades in franchise history, the Chiefs sent Allen, one of the league's up-and-coming pass rushing stars, to the Vikings for a first and two third round picks. Seems the trade worked out well for both sides.
With that said, we have this week's set of connections, courtesy of the Chiefs game release. Lots of coaching staff connections I didn't know about in this edition.
- Vikings OL coach Jeff Davidson spent five season (00-04) working alongside Chiefs GM Scott Pioli with the New England Patriots.
- Kansas City Chiefs DBs coach Emmitt Thomas was the defensive coordinator in Minnesota (00-01).
- Vikings personnel consultant Paul Wiggin was the head coach of the Chiefs (75-77).
- Minnesota DE Jared Allen played for Kansas City (04-07).
- Vikings defensive coordinator Fred Pagac (04-05) and special teams coach Mike Priefer (06-08) each coached with the Chiefs.
- Vikings RBs coach James Saxon played RB for the Chiefs (88-91) and later coached RBs in Kansas City (01-07).
- Vikings area scout Frank Acevedo worked in the Chiefs personnel department (95-01). He also coached RBs at Missouri Western.
- Vikings area scout Terrance Gray worked in player personnel and player development for the Chiefs (03-06).
- Vikings TEs coach Jimmie Johnson (94) and WRs coach George Stevens (81) both played for the Chiefs.
- Minnesota executive director of player development/legal Les Pico spent time in Kansas City's player development department (01-04).
- Chiefs QBs coach Jim Zorn held the same role at the University of Minnesota (95-96).
- Minnesota DT Christian Ballard is from Lawrence, Kan.