It's time to stop kidding ourselves about what's wrong with this team and it starts with S. Pioli and one decision. That decision, Matt Cassel was a better choice to lead this franchise than Mark Sanchez, set this franchise back at least 5 years, maybe longer. I was furious when it happened and am even more so now. Every thing that people on this site are questioning can be traced back to that decision. It's my belief that this team would look completely different had that call gone the other way. Full disclosure, no I don't think Cassel is a legit NFL quarterback, never have, but I invite you to look below the jump and tell me what you think, am I wrong?
If you make the decision to draft the rookie and build around him I wonder how different these would have looked on draft day 2 years ago.
1) Offensive line, have a rookie back there (and before the new CBA an expensive one) better make sure we invest some resources getting some beef protecting him. (Currently, a group of players that can not protect the career backup project qb that Pioli has stuck us with)
2) Running game, with a rookie back there we had better be a power running team. (Currently despite leading the league in rushing the Chiefs really don't have an identity as a power rushing team, mainly due to the fact that they still think the guy playing qb can get the job done)
3) Defense, rookie qb, we better be nasty on this side of the ball. (Currently, can not stop the run when necessary. Can't really blame them here though, why would they be able to stop it, its not like they get to practice against a talented line to improve themselves)
4) Head Coach, somebody that has worked with or developed young qb's before or a defense minded coach who will stress the importance of being able to win 13-10 games. (Currently, well let's just say that maybe a coach with a short fuse and 'inconsistent' offensive thoughts might not have been the 1st choice.
5) Quarterback, tough to say how Sanchez would have done had the Chiefs drafted him as clearly on draft day the Jets had more talent. But this is a fact, Mark Sanchez has started and WON postseason games. So the question on if he can do that has been answered. Some guys have that 'IT' and he seems to have it. His guys pick him up, they believe as Ryan said 'he'll make big time throws in big time spots'. Yesterday down 10 he got it to 3, down 14 got it to 7, defense and special teams took it from there. Our guys, down 13, looked like they mailed it in, just saying..
In short, I think there was a franchise quarterback on the board 2 years ago and our 'brilliant' GM choose to prove he was smarter that everybody else and promote his college backup to NFL starter. I hope I'm wrong, but I think taking Tyson Jackson over Mark Sanchez will be an albatross hanging on the Chiefs neck for years to come.