Not unlike the city of St. Louis itself, this week's Kansas City Chiefs-St. Louis Rams team connections post is rather bland. The vast majority of these connections stem from players or coaches being alumns of the same college.
The funny part about of this is that my connection to St. Louis is also my college. I went to St. Louis University, in the concrete jungle that is midtown St. Louis. By far the greatest benefit of having gone there is when people ask you where you went to school, they think you went to Washington University, which is down the road a few miles. When I tell people I went to SLU they often say, "Oh that's a great school!" About six months ago, I stopped asking if they were actually thinking about Washington University.
On to the rest of the post. The credit for these weekly connections always goes to the mothership's game release:
- Kansas City DBs coach Emmitt Thomas coached for the St. Louis Cardinals ('81-85).
- Chiefs S Ricky Price is the cousin of Rams RB Steven Jackson.
- Kansas City K Todd Carter spent time with St. Louis in 2011.
- Rams Owner/Vice Chairman E. Stanley Kroenke graduated from Missouri.
- Rams defensive coordinator Ken Flajole coached at Missouri ('89-93).
- Rams TE coach Frank Leonard coached at Kansas State (2007-08).
- St. Louis OL coach Steve Loney coached at Missouri Western ('75-76) and Leavenworth (KS) HS ('77-78).
- St. Louis WRs coach Nolan Cromwell played collegiately at Kansas.
- St. Louis WR Danario Alexander played collegiately at Missouri.
- Rams TE DeMarco Cosby played collegiately at Central Missouri.
- St. Louis LB Zac Diles and LB Ben Leber played collegiately at Kansas State.
- Chiefs G Jon Asamoah was a teammate of Rams TE Michael Hoomanawanui, G Randall Hunt and RB Brit Miller at Illinois.
- Kansas City T Branden Albert and St. Louis DE Chris Long played together at Virginia.
- Chiefs CB Javier Arenas and T Bobby Greenwood were teammates of Rams DB Marquis Johnson at Alabama.
- Chiefs CB/S Donald Washington was a teammate of Rams S Jermale Hines, LB James Laurinaitis and LS Jacob McQuaide at Ohio State.
- Kansas City TE Tony Moeaki and QB Ricky Stanzi were teammates of St. Louis CB Bradley Fletcher at Iowa.
- Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe and CB Travis Daniels were teammates of Rams P Donnie Jones at LSU.
- Kansas City RB Jackie Battle and LS Thomas Gafford were teammates of St. Louis WR Donnie Averyat Houston.