Arrowhead Pride has teamed up with Bud Light (Give 'em a Like on Facebook here) to count down the Kansas City Chiefs greatest NFL draft successes and failures. We're almost through the successes as we come to No. 2 today...
There have been many great players in Kansas City Chiefs history and perhaps none is greater than Tony Gonzalez. The Chiefs 1997 first round draft pick could easily have been No. 1 on this list and nobody would have batted an eye.
Tony Gonzalez is on the this list for the same reason Willie Lanier, Buch Buchanan, Bobby Bell and Will Shields are - they're all Hall of Fame calibre players.
If you've been a Kansas City Chiefs fan at any point in the last 14 years, you know who Tony Gonzalez is. Drafted No. 13 overall in the 1997 NFL Draft, TG went on to play 12 seasons in Kansas City. He made the Pro Bowl in ten of those seasons and was named an All-Pro six times.
He was the first tight end to record 1,000 receptions, among about a dozen other NFL and Kansas CIty Chiefs records:
Courtesy of Wikipedia, here are the records TG holds:
Kansas City Chiefs Records
- Career receptions (916 as of December 30, 2008)
- Career receiving yards (10,940 as of December 30, 2008)
- Career receiving touchdowns (76 as of December 30, 2008)
- Career yards from scrimmage (10,954 as of December 30, 2008)
- Consecutive games with a reception (130 as of December 30, 2008)
- Receptions in a single season for a tight end (102, 2004 season)
- Career receiving yards for a tight end (11,760 as of December 21, 2009)
- Career receptions for a tight end (994 as of December 21, 2009)
- Career receiving touchdowns for a tight end (82 as of December 21, 2009)
- Most seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards by a tight end (4)
- Most consecutive starts by a tight end (120)
- Pro Bowl All-Time leader in Receptions (42)
- Pro Bowl All-Time leader in Touchdowns (6)
Check out the rest of our Chiefs' draft successes:
- No. 10 - Kevin Ross
- No. 9 - Neil Smith
- No. 8 - Brandon Carr
- No. 7 - Willie Lanier
- No. 6 - Buck Buchanan
- No. 5 - Jared Allen
- No. 4. - Will Shields
- No. 3 - Bobby Bell
Are You Smarter Than The Experts?
Correctly predict the first 32 picks of the 2011 NFL Draft and you’ll win $10,000,000!
BEST ROUND EVER IN PRIMETIME
Enter at facebook.com/BudLight
Here We Go
Enjoy Responsibly ©2011 Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Bud Light® Beer, St. Louis, MO. ©2011 NFL Properties LLC. All NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football League. No Purchase Necessary. Contest open to U.S. residents (except CA) 21+. Contest begins 12AM CDT on 4/1 and ends 5:59:59PM CDT on 4/28. See Official Rules for complete details. Void where prohibited.