MINNEAPOLIS MN - DECEMBER 20: Workers clear snow from the field before Minnesota Vikings play the Chicago Bears at TCF Bank Stadium on December 20 2010 in Minneapolis Minnesota. (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
The 2011 Arrowhead Pride Mock Draft continues with ravenhawk choosing for the Minnesota Vikings at No. 12...
Last year in our 2 round draft I selected Maurkice Pouncey, and Sean Lee. Maurkice Pouncey was selected 18th overall by the Pittsburg Steelers and proceeded to have a Pro Bowl year. I'm not sure this was why the Vikings decided to trade back into the second round with the Lions. Sean Lee was picked up right before the Viking's pick with Dallas's pick at #55. He did have some nagging injuries in the offseason limiting his play. Towards the end of the season he came on strong as he intercepted Peyton Manning twice... one of which was for a touchdown.
The Vikings typically go best player available yet I'm going for a bit of BPA and need in order to help right this ship.
More after the jump...
To recap the official 2010 NFL draft... the Vikings selected:
- Round 2 Cris Cook CB
- Round 2 Toby Gearhart RB
- Round 4 Everson Griffen DE
- Round 5 Chris DeGeare OT
- Round 5 Nathan Triplett LB
- Round 6 Joe Webb QB
- Round 7 Mickey Shuler Jr TE
- Round 7 Ryan D'Imperio LB
Cook did alright but nothing spectacular as a rook. During his time in camp he looked good but was often injured in the season. As a backup RB Gerhart looked ok filling in the role of Chester Taylor. He will be a good backup if he can stop fumbling at a high rate. Griffen is still considered to have potential at defensive end. He is kind of a problem child. If he can stop with the off field problems and bring the nasty to the line things could heat up for the Vikings. Chris Degeare impressed some people in camp but during the season he was overpowered. JoeWebb is the definition of an athlete and will be very useful on the team either as the QB or WR.
Mickey Schuler did pretty well for being a low pick. Yet Visanthe Shiancoe is the go to TE in this offense. Ryan D'Imperio didn't do much, and is practice squad fodder.
In the 2010 offseason signed K Rhys Lloyd, DE Mike Montgomery and CB Lito Sheppard. Re-signed DT Jimmy Kennedy, WR Greg Lewis and CB Benny Sapp.
The biggest losses since 2010 were Chester Taylor leaving for Chicago (whom was replaced with Gearhart), and Brett Farve staying in Minnesota. Now Favre is living the good life as he hobbles around in Mississippi.
Positions of need are QB, O-line,CB, S, DL, and maybe WR. If Rice leaves, then WR is a need and one of the 2 top WR would be great if they fell to the Vikings. Yet both Greene and Jones are off the table. Cam Newton, and Blaine Gabbert are off the table too so this crosses off QB as Jake Locker would be an extreme reach at this pick. Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara are gone so we can cross the list. The quality of safety isn't worth a 1st round pick. This is a tough place to be so I guess I have to go OT or DE. OT might be a good pick, though I think C/G is more of a position of need still.
So with no further ado... the 12th pick of the Arrowheadpride 2012 NFL draft and new Viking is...
Tyron Smith, OT from USC
- Height: 6'5"
- Weight: 307 lbs.
- Arm Length: 36 3/8 in.
- Hand Size: 11 in.
- College: USC
- Conference: Pac 10
- Position: OT
Among the country's highest-ranked offensive linemen, Smith wasted little time making an impact for the Trojans as the primary backup behind left tackle Charles Brown as a true freshman. He started the next two seasons at right tackle before declaring early for the 2011 NFL.
Can sink his hips to counter the bull rush. Moves his feet really well to shadow quicker speed rushers. Very comfortable blocking in space pulling on the perimeter and getting to the second level. Has a mean streak.
The concern is that he's making a huge jump into competition without having actually operated on the left side. Lacking the bulk and strength teams prefer at right tackle, Smith will be projected to the left tackle position in the NFL. It won't be difficult for scouts to fall in love with Smith's tools and make him an early selection come April. The Vikings had best be willing to accept growing pains,. The 20-year old Smith, while perhaps the most gifted offensive tackle in the 2011 draft, is nowhere near being a finished product.
He is blessed with the ideal NFL frame and outstanding athleticism necessary to be a starting left tackle. Smith possesses ideal height and 36 3/8 in. wingspan, combined with rare speed and mobility for an offensive tackle. He does a great job staying in front of speed rushers, locks on and sustains, and can anchor against the bull rush. Shows solid power in the running game and is really productive out in space. Yet pass blocking is considered his best trait.
Negative would be that he could benefit from adding more bulk to his frame, does not have natural football instincts, overall awareness is lacking, can be baited by stunts and twists, and does not recognize the blitz as quickly as you'd like to see.
Tyrone Smith could push Bryant McKinnie off of the starting left tackle position. At age 31 Bryant McKinnie is getting up there in age and does have a couple years left in the tank. Best case would be to have Tyrone Smith play a couple years at right tackle and then eventually move him to the left tackle position. McKinnie, being solid for the Vikings, was selected to the Pro Bowl once. Yet after 10 seasons in the NFL, I wouldn't consider him elite at his position.
In conclusion I can't help but think about Maurkice Pouncey playing at center for the Vikings... along with Tyron Smith, and Bryant McKinnie. This would offensive line would be many a QB's dream. Likewise Adrian Peterson might lose his fears of modern day slavery, once we get back to playing football.
Full Schedule And Results:
1. Carolina Panthers (ChiefsFan90s) - Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert
2. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers
3. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Auburn QB Cam Newton
4. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Georgia WR A.J. Green
5. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Texas A&M OLB Von Miller
6. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Auburn DT Nick Fairley
7. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - LSU CB Patrick Peterson
8. Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara
9. Dallas Cowboys (IamtheGreatest) - Alabama DL Marcell Dareus
10. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Alabama WR Julio Jones
11. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Missouri DE Aldon Smith
12. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - USC OT Tyron Smith
13. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Tuesday March 29th
14. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Tuesday March 29th
15. Miami Dolphins (YerganFlurgan) - Tuesday March 29th
16. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Wednesday March 30th
17. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Wednesday March 30th
18. San Diego Chargers (Chiefscafan58) - Wednesday March 30th
19. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Wednesday March 30th
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Thursday March 31st
21. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Thursday March 31st
22. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Thursday March 31st
23. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Friday April 1st
24. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Friday April 1st
25. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - Friday April 1st
26. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 4th
27. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Monday April 4th
28. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Monday April 4th
29. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 5th
30. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Tuesday April 5th
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Tuesday April 5th
32. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 6th
33. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Wednesday April 6th
34. Buffalo Bills (Arrowdread) - Wednesday April 6th
35. Cincinnati Bengals (Dirty South Chiefs Fan) - Thursday April 7th
36. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Thursday April 7th
37. Cleveland Browns (H2E) - Thursday April 7th
38. Arizona Cardinals (tmurawsk) - Friday April 8th
39.Tennessee Titans (ejr58) - Friday April 8th
40. Dallas Cowboys (Royals Time) - Friday April 8th
41. Washington Redskins (nmchief) - Monday April 11th
42. Houston Texans (FalconMF27) - Monday April 11th
43. Minnesota Vikings (Raven Hawk) - Monday April 11th
44. Detroit Lions (Matt Hays) - Tuesday April 12th
45. San Francisco 49ers (Another Successful Tedford QB) - Tuesday April 12th
46. Denver Broncos (craig in calgary) - Tuesday April 12th
47. St. Louis Rams (Sam D) - Wednesday April 13th
48. Oakland Raiders (mushin) - Wednesday April 13th
49. Jacksonville Jaguars (GenericBrand) - Wednesday April 13th
50. San Diego Chargers (Chiefsfaninca58) - Thursday April 14th
51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (PSUkegreen) - Thursday April 14th
52. New York Giants (flowers 24) - Thursday April 14th
53. Kansas City Chiefs (Matt_Grbac) - Friday April 15th
54. Indianapolis Colts (saskwatch) - Friday April 15th
55. Philadelphia Eagles (OnlyKCFanNVA) - Friday April 15th
56. New Orleans Saints (The Other Patrick Allen) - Monday April 18th
57. Seattle Seahawks (Simon from KC) - Monday April 18th
58. Baltimore Ravens (Ben S) - Monday April 18th
59. Atlanta Falcons (stagdsp) - Tuesday April 19th
60. New England Patriots (averagegatsby) - Tuesday April 19th
61. Chicago Bears (KillaCity107) - Tuesday April 19th
62. New York Jets (bradelli58) - Wednesday April 20th
63. Pittsburgh Steelers (scottchief) - Wednesday April 20th
64. Green Bay Packers (Aesthetist) - Wednesday April 20th
Do you agree with the selection?
Agree (66 votes)
Disagree (50 votes)
Meh (34 votes)
150 total votes