FOXBORO, MA - NOVEMBER 21: Ryan Succop #6 of the Kansas City Chiefs reacts after kicking a field goal against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on November 21, 2011 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)
The Pittsburgh Steelers are coming to town this week for a Sunday night game against the Chiefs. As we all know, the Chiefs have lost three straight and enter this game with a tiny little deficiency which is commonly known as "offense". The Steelers enter the game in the thick of the AFC North race, battling for the lead with the Baltimore Ravens. A win for them is a must in order to keep pace.
How will Las Vegas view this matchup? Pittsburgh, coming off of a bye, visits the Chiefs who are reeling and are playing on short rest. Will we see a line like we did this past week against New England? Do the Chiefs have any value in this game? Let's find out that and more in this week's installment of The Opening Line.
After the Chiefs 34-3 loss to the Patriots on Monday Night, the folks out in Vegas immediately released the line for this week's game. The first available line was Pittsburgh -10 and the total was set at 40. Currently, the most widely available line in 10.5, while in Vegas and offshore the total can be had at 39.5 or 40 depending on where you play. As of now, only one site (Bodog) has the spread at 11.
My early thoughts are that the line is pretty solid. Certainly Pittsburgh has the capability of winning by 30, but the task is to have a line which will entice bettors on both sides. Pittsburgh's offense has struggled at times, and even if they dominate the Chiefs on defense, a 17-7 game would be a win for Chiefs backers. Personally, I wouldn't touch this game with someone else's money. All I am saying is I think the line is a good one. I wish I could be a little more helpful, but for now (and until something changes during the week), bet this one at your own risk.
Here are some trends for the upcoming matchup. There are a bunch this week that have some interesting records.
- Steelers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS win.
- Steelers are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games as a road favorite of 10.5 or greater.
- Chiefs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games as an underdog.
- Chiefs are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games as a home underdog.
- Chiefs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games following a ATS loss.
- Chiefs are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Over is 6-1 in Steelers last 7 road games.
- Over is 5-1 in Steelers last 6 games as a favorite.
- Over is 8-2 in Steelers last 10 games following a ATS win.
- Over is 4-1 in Steelers last 5 road games vs. a team with a losing home record.
- Under is 5-0 in Chiefs last 5 games overall.
- Under is 4-0 in Chiefs last 4 home games.
- Under is 6-0 in Chiefs last 6 games on grass.
- Under is 4-0 in Chiefs last 4 games following a S.U. loss.
- Under is 5-0 in Chiefs last 5 vs. AFC.
- Over is 4-0 in Chiefs last 4 games in Week 12.
- Under is 4-0 in Chiefs last 4 games following a SU loss of more than 14 points.
- Under is 7-1 in Chiefs last 8 games following a ATS loss.
- Under is 5-1 in Chiefs last 6 games after allowing more than 30 points in their previous game.
- Under is 5-1 in Chiefs last 6 games as a home underdog.
- Over is 5-1-1 in Chiefs last 7 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Under is 5-1 in Chiefs last 6 games as an underdog.
- Under is 4-1 in Chiefs last 5 games after allowing more than 350 total yards in their previous game.
- Under is 4-1 in Chiefs last 5 games in November.
- Under is 4-1 in Chiefs last 5 vs. a team with a winning record
Personally, I cannot believe it is Week 12 already. A season that many thought held promise is certainly on the verge of becoming a complete and utter disaster. As Chiefs fans, we know disappointment all too well, but we also have seen the team shock the heck out of us when we least expect it. Here's to hoping this week will bring us a surprise.
Lastly, from my neck of the woods to wherever you are, my sincere wishes go out to all of you for a happy and healthy Thanksgiving holiday. I am certainly thankful to be a part of a community like this and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. Cheers.