The Kansas City Chiefs will meet the New England Patriots on Monday Night Football this week and there are plenty of story lines between these two teams as the head guys of each organization have spent a number of years together in the football world.
Courtesy of the Chiefs game release, here are your Chiefs-Patriots connections:
- Kansas City GM Scott Pioli served as VP of player personnel (02-08), director of player personnel (01) and assistant director of player personnel (2000) with New England. Pioli worked with New England head coach Bill Belichick with the Patriots, New York Jets (97-99) and Cleveland (92-95).
- Chiefs assistant GM Joel Collier was the secondary coach (06-07) and assistant DBs coach (05) for the Patriots.
- Kansas City assistant head coach Maurice Carthon was an assistant with New England (94-96).
- Chiefs defensive coordinator had two coaching stints with the Patriots (93-96) and (01-04). Kansas City offensive coordinator Bill Muir was an assistant with New England (82-84).
- Chiefs DL coach Anthony Pleasant played for the Patriots (01-03).
- Kansas City defensive quality control coach Otis Smith played for New England (96, 00-02).
- Chiefs LBs coach Gary Gibbs attended training camp with New England (75).
- Chiefs regional scout Jim Nagy spent seven years in the New England player personnel department (02-08).
- Chiefs QB Matt Cassel (05-08), OT Steve Maneri (2010) and OT Ryan O'Callaghan (06-08) played for the Patriots.
- New England G Brian WAters spent 11 seasons with KC (00-10).
- Patriots WRs coach Chad O'Shea was a volunteer assistant with the Chiefs (03-05).
- Chiefs director of player development Katie Douglass spent nearly five years with New England in player development, community affairs and youth football initiatives.
- Kansas City football operations assistant Tom Caracciollo is the brother of New England director of football operations Matt Caracciollo.