JMV of 1070 The Fan in Indy reports that the Colts media guide indicates Collins is the probable starter while Phil Wilson of the Indy Star reported that Jim Caldwell declined today to name a starter for Sunday's game, but Wilson does think, as of now, it'll be Painter.
We think we know what Painter can and can't do, as we saw on Monday night, but the Chiefs have a longer history with Collins.
If it's Kerry Collins, then past history says the Chiefs have a good shot at winning. The Chiefs have beaten a Kerry Collins-led team six times in eight tries. Collins has thrown 11 touchdowns and 10 interceptions against the Chiefs in his career.
Here's a run down of Collins vs. the Chiefs over the years:
- 1997: Collins throws four picks and the Chiefs beat the Panthers, 35-14.
- 2001: Collins throws three picks but the Giants beat the Chiefs, 13-3.
- 2004-05: Collins' Raiders lose to the Chiefs four times but he throws eight touchdowns and just two picks in those games.
- 2008: Collins' Titans beat the Chiefs, 34-10, en route to a 13-0 start.
- 2010: Collins throws two touchdowns and two picks in a Chiefs' victory.
Painter just started his first game last night so there is no prior history with him. We'll know more about the Colts injury situation after Wednesday's practice but I think it's a win-win for the Chiefs either way.