The 199th pick overall has been that mystical number ever since Tom Brady was drafted back in 2000.
How is this related to the Chiefs? Well Scott Pioli finally got to pick at that number again.
Lets see where every 199th pick overall is currently at from Tom Brady to Jerell Powe.
- 2000- I shouldn't have to go into this one as we know Tom Brady. Got drafted because Drew Bledsoe needed a back up. After he got injured, Brady took over and the rest is history.
- 2001- Adam Haayer was a Tackle drafted by the Titans. He spent 5 years in the league.
- 2002- You have got to be kidding me. This one we faced this year. Adrien Peterson (not All Day) was drafted by the Chicago Bears. He is currently with Virginia Destroyers.
- 2003- Willie Ponder was a WR drafted by the Giants. Spent four seasons in the league.
- 2004- Clarence Moore was a WR drafted by the Ravens. Spent four seasons in the league.
- 2005- Khari Long was a DE drafted by the Chiefs. Played in one game.
- 2006- Charlie Johnson was a T drafted by the Colts. Currently plays for the Vikings.
- 2007- Drew Momino is a C drafted by the Dolphins. Played in 0 games.
- 2008- Robert Henderson was a DE drafted by the Giants. Has not played a game.
- 2009- Stryker Sulak is a DE drafted by the Patriots. Played in 0 games.
- 2010- Joe Webb is a QB/WR/Return Man drafted by the Vikings. Currently backing up Christian Ponder and Donovan McNabb he did play last season when Favre went down. He led them to an upset victory against the Eagles.
- 2011- Jerell Powe is a NT taken by the Chiefs. He was a good prospect that dropped. Although he currently inactive, he should be the Chiefs NT for the future.
So what do these guys say about the 199th pick? There are more inactives than actives. A couple have made waves (Brady and Peterson), while others have potential (Powe and Webb) if given the opportunity. This number isn't that mystical but there have been a couple of steals since Brady.
As for my own personal opinion on the Chiefs 199th pick this past year. Powe could be a very good NT and showed that he has some speed for a big man.