G Logan Mankins (NE) - Show him the money!
WR Steve Smith (NY) - Show him some money!
(1) 21st Pick - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
- With the hopeful free agent signing of G Logan Mankins, our O-Line is nearly complete. Because our offense is dedicated to the run and Cassel is not very good when protections breaks down, we need to concentrate on this first. I like Castonzo's character alot and I believe he has the work ethic to continue getting better. He struggled a little bit at the Senior Bowl, but I still think he is a legitimate 1st round pick and RT. Barry Richardson is a best suited as a backup.
(2) 55th Pick - Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor / Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
- This is going to be a very interesting pick. Comes down to a NT or WR, depending on whether we pick up a #2 WR in Free Agency. Both of these players are moving up the draft boards quickly, though, towards 1st round consideration, so we may miss out on both. But I'll stick with NT Taylor for now and hope he is there to for us to plug into the middle. This guy is a beast and fits perfectly as a 3-4 NT. Hankerson looked great at the Senior Bowl and could potentially be our #2, but I'm really hoping that we fill that void in FA.
(3) 86th Pick - Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona / Sam Acho, DE/OLB, Texas
- Vrabel will most likely be out (hopefully he can be a coach), Studebaker is most likely a situational player, and our 5th round pick last year, Cameron Sheffield, is Hali's backup. We need someone opposite Hali and both of these players fit as 3-4 OLB's and have high non-stop motors. They were very good at the Senior Bowl and I would be happy with either one. Reed reminds me of a poor man's Clay Matthews who can get to the QB. Not sure how each will hold up against the run, but our new NT will help with that tremendously.
(4) 117th Pick - Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas State
- Thomas Jones was not good this year. PERIOD. I like what he brings in leadership (same with Vrabel), but his days are numbered. I definitely want him back for one more year, but a replacement needs to be found. The Chiefs are a running team and having a #2 RB is very crucial to this system. Charles is best suited to handle a 70/30 split in order keep him healthy and I'm not sure Jackie Battle is ready to step up as Jones' replacement. Daniel Thomas has great size for a power back and runs people over. Any unlike Jones, he won't be stuffed behind the LOS near as much.
(5) Eric Hagg, FS, Nebraska
- Jon McGraw will be gone and we need someone who can serve as a capable backup to Kendrick Lewis and come in cover TE's on occasion. Hagg has good height (6'2") and good speed, and comes from a very good Nebraska pass defense so he has had good exposure.
Rest of the picks are BPA. (Concentrate on FB, O-Line depth....)