Allow me to take a few moments to introduce myself. This is my first ever post, so I hope that you'll keep that in mind. Second, I have been a Chiefs fan longer than some of you have been alive. That doesn't make me a better fan; I simply want ou to understand that I am not new to Chiefs Nation! I can remember watching DT wreck havoc on offenses. My favorite players growing up were: Lanier, Bell, Lynch, Taylor, Budde and Dawson. I sat in the stands, with my grandfather, and watched the Dolphins beat us in the longer game ever played...and my mom was ticked that we were gone so long on Christmas Day! Then I was there for the first ever game in Arrowhead. Grandpa used to take me and my friends up to William Jewell (my alma mater) every summer for opening day of trainig camp. I have been to the mountain top (Super Bowl victory over the Vikings) and have suffered through the decades since trying to get back.
So, what should the Chiefs do this off season.
- T. Hali - this is a no-brainer...get it done!
- B. Richardson - keep him as our Swing Tackle
- B. Carr - absolutely a keeper
- S. Smith - another keeper
- C. Wiegmann - 1 more year as depth and a mentor
- R. Niswanger - let him fight it out for depth at C/G
I let everyone walk away, except for Vrahel who I sign on as an Assistant Linebacker Coach.
Our team needs, as I see them:
- Starters: C, RT, NT, ILB and WR
- Depth: C/G, OLB, NT, S, DE, OB and WR
Free Agents to pick up:
- Mike McCoy as our new Offensive Coordinator
- R. Harris (Den) follows his coach and solidifies our O-line at RT
- A. Franklin (SF) plugs our hole at NT, setting the tone for a top 10 Defense
- Breaston (ARIZ) rejoins Haley to give KC a potent set of target: Bowe, Breaston, Moeaki, McCluster and Charles/Jones
Ok, if you aren't disagreeing with me yet, I'm sure that you will now.
- NE really wants/needs another WR. Let's trade out 1st for their 1st and 2nd.
- Waters is a valuable commodity at the present time, trade him to Ariz. for their 3rd
- Gillberry also has some good trade value, so let's trade him to Buf for their 4th
Ok, time for a quck review of our team needs, and where we stand.
- C - Wiegmann is depth, but we still need a starter
- RT - Harris is our starter and B-Rick is solid as a swing tackle
- NT - Franklin is a solid starter but we still need a good young stud to groom
- ILB - Belcher is a good back-up, but we need some attitude as our starter
- WR - Breaston gives us our very own Batman and Robin combination
Now to the draft
1st (NE) - Wisniwski (C) he's our starter for years to come
2nd (KC) - Sheard (OLB) - Him, Studebaker and Sheffield fight it out for the right to start and the other two are depth
2nd (NE) - Matthews (ILB) - He brings t atitude to the middle of our defense that we need
3rd (Ariz) - Fua (NT) - Him and Franklin are the anchor to our defense
3rd (KC) - Pettis (WR) - he's too good to pass up at this point of the draft
4th (BUF) - Stanzi (QB) - good young QB to develop and backup Cassel
4th (KC) - Romeus (DE) - depth pick for the D-line
This still leaves rounds 5-7 to get some more solid players. I am excited about the coming years as a Chiefs fan.
So, there you have it. Thanks for reading. I look forward to seeing your comments. Just remember, this is my first time...so...please be gentle.