Every team in the NFL has strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, and go-to guys. They have plays they like to call during tight situations or directions they like to run when in the middle of the field.
The Chiefs meet up with the Chargers on a Monday night showdown in Arrowhead. Look for KC to be well prepared and ready to prove that the Kansas City Chiefs can no longer be considered the doormat of the AFC West.
After preparing all week, the Chiefs have at the very least noticed that the Chargers have two major tendencies during the preseason:
- They like to pass deep left.
- They like to run the ball right at the center.
Let's find out how the Chargers preseason tendencies match up with Kansas Cities Strengths and weaknesses.
Chargers Rushing Offense
|Left End||Left Tackle||Left Guard||Up the Middle||Right Guard||Right Tackle||Right End|
|Plays: 11||Plays: 10||Plays: 13||Plays: 40||Plays: 8||Plays: 8||Plays: 15|
|NFL Rank: 17||NFL Rank: 23||NFL Rank: 7||NFL Rank: 8||NFL Rank: 22||NFL Rank: 28||NFL Rank: 8|
|Avg Gain: 2.36||Avg Gain: 3.00||Avg Gain: 4.00||Avg Gain: 3.03||Avg Gain: 3.13||Avg Gain: 1.75||Avg Gain: 5.20|
|NFL Rank: 28||NFL Rank: 26||NFL Rank: 10||NFL Rank: 26||NFL Rank: 19||NFL Rank: 30||NFL Rank: 10|
Chargers Rushing Observations:
- The Chargers love to run the ball right up the gut: 40 times right at the center. That is exactly where most of the teams in preseason ran the ball at the Chiefs. Opponents ran up the gut against the Chiefs 45 times (2nd most in the NFL) for 3.27 average. Look for the Chargers to continue testing the Chiefs middle.
- The Chargers have had the most avg gain success running at the right end. The Chiefs gave up a whopping 6.28 average to opposing teams running at the right end.
- The Chargers did not look like a great running team in the preseason. Ranks based on average gain per carry ranged from 10th to 30th in the NFL, not great numbers. But don't be surprised if the Chargers challenge the Chiefs new defensive coordinator in the run game.
Chargers Passing Offense
Avg Gain:7.9NFL Rank: 22nd
Avg Gain: 21.4NFL Rank: 2nd
Avg Gain:12.2NFL Rank: 13th
||MIDDLE SHORT||RIGHT SHORT
Avg Gain: 5.4NFL Rank: 18th
Avg Gain: 5.9NFL Rank: 21st
Avg Gain:3.9NFL Rank: 29th
|Chargers Passing Zone Frequency Chart
Chargers Passing Observations:
- The Chargers like to take the long ball down the field to the left side. That plays right into what teams have been doing to the Chiefs in the preseason. Opponents have attacked Carr and the short left side of the Chiefs secondary without mercy: 53 times or 2nd in the NFL.
- Don't expect to see many long plays down the middle of the field. The Chargers would seem to prefer going deep on the right or left side and the Chiefs, with the addition of Berry, were only attacked 5 times (rank 23rd) deep down the middle of the field.
Click On "Bewsaf Past Posts" for more past articles
|*Chiefs Preseason: Breaking Down The Back Up O-Line - Packers||*Chiefs Preseason: Breaking Down The O-Line Tape - Primer||*I Wish I Had A Dollar (Bewsaf Uncaged)|