I grew up about two hours west of Cleveland and two hours south of Detroit, in a small college town in Ohio. I didn't grow up in much of a sports family, I liked the Tigers as a kid, and for a few misguided years, the TBS Braves.
At age 12 I bought a KC Royals hat at Big Lots, and having become fed up and bored with the primadonna Braves, I choose right there to become a Royals fan. Well, I took the Chiefs as a part of that package deal, and have been a fan since that day!
I was young, and had no way to watch the games, but during locally televised Browns/Chiefs games, I remember being so excited to root for my Chiefs, the only Chiefs fan in Ohio! I got 3 hour glimpses of Derrick Thomas, Marcus Allen, The Nigerian Nightmare, and later Dante's Inferno, Trent, Holmes, TG, and (ug) the spitter.
People would always ask how on earth I was a Royals/Chiefs fan, and I would try to explain, but by that time I couldn't really explain. They were just my teams, and I loved em, losing seasons and all.
Now, for the first time in years, I'm really really excited about one of my teams. Yeah, Grienke winning the Cy Young last year was great, but that was a personal performance, and those come and go (or get traded in the case of the Royals). Our 2010 Chiefs are playing TEAM football, specifically great team defense and it's amazing to watch.
This is just my first post here, and I do not have a great football mind, but I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts, hopes, and predictions for the Pioli-era Chiefs.
1. Our defense is doing the "small" things REALLY well. Open field tackling has been nothing short of SUPERB. I also have to believe that two weeks in, we have been one of the least penalized defenses in the league.
2. It's cliche and probably waaaaay too soon to say this, but Tony Moeaki appears to be the second coming of TG. He has the body, and the talent to become a top 5 TE in the NFL. You gotta love a TE that takes blocking seriously, and so far, I've been impressed.
3. We have a young pair of kickers that are VERY good, and will end up winning us close games with long FG's and smothering field positions.
1. The offense is struggling to find its identity, I'm not a Cassel hater, but it's clear that there is little cohesion when the offense takes the field, he doesn't seem to command each play. I hope he gains some confidence and a voice under center.
2. Getting Charles to the corners is one of the most important things we can do to gain large chunks of yardage in the middle of the field. I hope that Haley has had the playbook clamped shut and that in game 3 or 4 we start to see some creative plays with Dexter and Charles lining up together in the backfield to cause mayhem. Until Cassel finds himself, I actually feel comfortable relying on some trick plays for big yardage, THAT's how good our playmakers can be.
3. I hope Dwayne Bowe can set pride and foolish youth aside, and form a strong tandem with Cassel. Folks, we aren't going anywhere without a premier WR, I don't really see Dex like that, is that wrong? I'll tack on, I hope we draft a sleeper WR next year.
1. We will finish 10-6 and make the playoffs. Not because we are a 10-6 team, but because we won one of our hard games, and the rest of our schedule is a gift from God. We will not win a playoff game this year unless Cassel suddenly finds his inner Brady again or Weis gets REALLY good with the play calling. I don't see either happening.
2. 2010 will go down as one of the best drafts in KC history, talking out my ass a little here, as I'm not a draft expert.
3. Eric Berry will figure things out sooner than later. He is so explosive and eager, once he learns to keep plays in front of him, we will start seeing him create turnovers on a regular basis.