I've been trying to develop a reasonbly explanation behind Jamaal's lack of carries in the first two games.
- Did he not perform well in the offseason, training camp, or preseason: No...
- Has he been letting go of the ball, after all he has had some problems in the past holding onto the rock: No...
- Is he in the doghouse like Derrick Johnson and Dwayne Bowe before him: Not to our knowledge...
So then what could be the reason?
I'd like to propose a few explanations:
- The LJ-Deterioration effect or the giving of too many carries to a young player, which ultimately leads to the deterioration of that player's ability. We saw it with Larry Johnson following his record breaking 416 carries in 2006. Coach Haley possibly wants to limit Charles' carries in order to keep his legs fresh, which will not only aid this season but seasons to come. Jamaal Charles is only 23 years old and perhaps Coach Haley realizes advantages of limiting his carries early on in career.
- Another explanation could be the 2nd Half Explosion: Performance. The NFL schedule is a grueling 16 game marathon. Moreover, defenses wear down. Charles gained 1004 out of his 1120 rushing yards in 2009 in the months of November, December, and January. Perhaps Coach Haley is attempting to replicate this same late season success by utilizing Charles in the second half of the season. This makes sense with our schedule and early bye week. There will be a 13 straight games following our Week 4 Bye. Coach Haley needs the fresh legs of Charles during this grueling stretch.
- 2nd Half Explosion: Schematic is another idea. Perhaps the coaching staff does not want to appear to be one-dimensional with Jamaal Charles receiving a majority of the carries too early in the season. This would allow opposing defenses more time to develop a game plan on how to contain Charles. Employing Thomas Jones in a more Power-Run style attack clearly affects how the opposition approaches the Chiefs' offense. Therefore, our current attack turns the attention away from Charles, which may ultimately lead to Haley using him successfully in the second half of the season.
What Ideas do you guys have?