Some people here at Arrowhead Pride have gotten a little worked up over the first two preseason games. The Falcons game proved, and the Buccaneers game confirmed, that Chiefs are in for another too-bad-to-watch season according to these folks. Apparently we looked terrible, worse than any other team in the league, and were outplayed even by the lowly Bucs. So, to take some some the stress off, how about we take a little quiz. Nothing takes the stress off like a quiz, right?
1. In Atlanta, which team had more first downs?
2. Which team was more efficient on third downs?
3. Which team had more yards?
4. Which team DID NOT only have 2.7 yards per carry?
5. Which team had fewer penalties?
6. Which team's starting QB had the highest passer rating out of every QB in the game?
7. Which team had two running backs and one wide receiver rush for at least 5 yards per carry?
8. In Tampa, which team had more passing 1st downs than the other team had TOTAL?
9. Which team was more efficient on third downs?
10. Which team had more passing AND rushing yards than the other team?
11. Which team had only one penalty all game?
12. Which team was 5 seconds away from having a 10-minute advantage in time of possession?
13.Which team's starting QB had a passer rating over 100?
15. Which team, like the 2010 Chiefs, lost their first two preseason games, the 2007 Patriots or the 2008 Lions?
If you said the Falcons for 1-7, the Bucs for 8-13, Patriots for 14, and Lions for 15, then you got every question WRONG.
I knew going into these games that if I expect the Chiefs to be about an 8 win team, then they should be close to the Falcons and dominate the Bucs. That is exactly what happened, especially in Tampa. All 10 of their first half points came off a rare Jones fumble and a rare miss tackle from Flowers that happened at the worst possible moment. There's no excuses for those mistakes, of course, but NFL players are human too. Let's wait to see if turnovers and mistakes become more of a theme before we start to go into panic mode.
Also, take note of 14 and 15. The winless Lions went undefeated in the preseason, while the 16-0 Patriots lost their first two. Which one is more similar to the Chiefs? Now, I'm not saying we're going to crush everybody on our way to the Super Bowl before choking to a vastly inferior team, but it goes to show that preseason games are, in fact, meaningless in terms of wins and losses. They are glorified scrimmages.
So let's all take a deep breath and relax. If we start out 0-4 or 0-5 again, THEN it will be time to start wishfully thinking about next year. But until then, let's watch the preseason games and just be happy that they at least fixed the third down problem we had last year apparently.