ATLANTA - AUGUST 13: Thomas Jones #20 of the Kansas City Chiefs runs off the field during the game against the Atlanta Falcons at Georgia Dome on August 13 2010 in Atlanta Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Thomas Jones, Mike Vrabel and Jon McGraw all played just one series. They're veterans who have repeatedly drawn praise from the coaching staff for understanding the offense/defense. Basically, they don't need the preseason work.
Here's how everyone else lined up. For the most part the starters were in for the first four series. A few guys were replaced here and there.
- QB: Matt Cassel
- RB: RB Thomas Jones, FB Tim Castille
- OL: LT Branden Albert, LG Brian Waters, C Rudy Niswanger, RG Ryan Lilja, RT Ryan O'Callaghan
- WR: Dwayne Bowe, Chris Chambers
- TE: Leonard Pope
Jones played just one series, took two handoffs then was done for the night. Mitch Holthus actually said on the broadcast that he was out with a stinger so no big deal. Charles came in at running back after he exited. McCluster was the first receiver in there when they went to three wide.
- DL: DE Glenn Dorsey, NT Ron Edwards, DE Tyson Jackson
- LB: OLB Mike Vrabel, ILB Demorrio Williams, ILB Corey Mays, OLB Tamba Hali
- DB: CB Brandon Flowers, S Jon McGraw, S Eric Berry, CB Brandon Carr
Vrabel lasted just one series before being replaced by OLB Andy Studebaker. Same with Jon McGraw who was replaced by Kendrick Lewis. Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher filtered in and out at inside linebacker by the third series. Wallace Gilberry got in there plenty on nickel work.
- K: Ryan Succop
- P: Dustin Colquitt
- PR: Javier Arenas
- KR: Javier Arenas and Terrance Copper
Arenas will clearly be the main kick and punt returner.