The Chiefs are continuing to plug away at signing their seven draft picks. While it may not look like it with just one pick (S Kendrick Lewis) signed, they're pumping away at getting all these guys into camp.
There are two Chiefs that have had the floor and the ceiling set -- in other words, the player before and after them has signed.
These contract numbers come courtesy of Mac's Football Blog.
Third round pick Jon Asamoah:
67. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Myron Lewis, S, Vanderbilt - Signed (4-years, $2.72M; $930,100 signing bonus)
68. Kansas City Chiefs - Jon Asamoah, G, Illinois
69. Oakland Raiders - Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale - Signed (Terms undisclosed)
You can see where Asamoah would top out. Terms of Veldheer's deal aren't available yet but GM Scott Pioli more than likely knows what they are and they'll be public soon enough.
Fifth round pick Cameron Sheffield:
141. Chicago Bears - Joshua Moore, CB, Kansas State - Signed (4-years, $1.988M; $198,000 signing bonus)
142. Kansas City Chiefs - Cameron Sheffield, LB, Troy
143. Jacksonville Jaguars - Larry Hart, LB, Central Arkansas - Signed (4-years, $1.982M; ~$192,800 signing bonus)
If his is a four-year deal, it would be in the neighborhood of $1.985 million and a signing bonus/roster bonus in the neighborhood of $195,000.
There are a few other points to remember here:
1. The Chiefs reportedly structured Kendrick Lewis' deal so that he received a roster bonus and not a signing bonus. To him, the money's the same but the Chiefs had to have some sort of reason related to the salary cap for doing that.
2. Last year the Chiefs did three-year deals for most of these late round contracts. Their only one this year has been a four-year deal.
3. No one party is to blame. Both sides have responsibilities in contract negotiations. Something to keep in mind.