According to ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4899375), Julius Peppers home next year will not be the Carolina Panthers. This leads us to rumorville for where the next landing spot would be for Julius Peppers. Could that spot be Kansas City? Would Pioli spend that kind of money on a player that is 30years old?
My thoughts after the jump...
I know there will be two large knocks that Chiefs fans will have on aquiring Julius Peppers.
Clark Hunt said that the Chiefs will be active in the FA market, but was not sure how active they will be with regards to big names. I was searching for the most recent article that Adam T did with Clark Hunt, but was not able to find it... however, I recall that there was some statement that their is a "blue chip" style player out there they are interested in. Is that Peppers?
Why we should get Peppers:
1. Lack of missing playing time: Julius Peppers does not miss games. He is not an injury guy and is going to be there on Sunday when we need him.
2. Pass Rush: People say he's older now and is going to lose his rush. False. He had 10.5 sacks year and was getting doubled up all the time.
3. 3-4 Def: Julius Peppers has made it very clear he wants to play OLB in a 3-4 Defense. We happen to have a spot for him... opposite of Tamba Hali
4. Romeo: You can not tell me that Romeo couldn't cook up some serious QB pressure with Tamba and Julius out there.
Why we shouldn't get Peppers:
1. Money: I don't like this excuse either... we have plenty of it, but he does come at a high price.
2. Attitude: I don't really like how he is always in the news complaining about something. Just shut up and do your job. You get paid millions already to tackle guys... chill.
My conclusion is this. Julius Peppers has more left in his tank and would instantly make the Chiefs Defense stronger. Everyone says we need a stronger pass rusher and it does not get much better then Peppers. I say be agressive Pioli and make your move on Peppers as soon as you can. Do not let this one slip away... he will not be there in June for you.
DE - Tyson Jackson
NT - FA/Draft (Prefer Vince Wilfork)
DE - Glenn Dorsey
OLB - Tamba Hali
ILB - Brandon Spikes
ILB - Derrick Johnson
OLB - Julius Peppers
DB - Brandon Carr
DB - Brandon Flowers
SS - Jon McGraw
FS - Eric Berry