INDIANAPOLIS - SEPTEMBER 19: Peyton Manning #18 of the Indianapolis Colts waits to throw the ball during warmups before the NFL game against the New York Giants at Lucas Oil Stadium on September 19 2010 in Indianapolis Indiana. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
The Kansas City Chiefs play their first of two road games this Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts. Many in the NFL are still wondering whether the Chiefs are for real, thinking the next two games will tell the tale.
Every team in the NFL has strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, and go-to guys. They have plays they like to call during tight situations or directions they like to run when in the middle of the football field.
Let's take a look at those Colt's tendencies.
Please refer to the Bewsaf Past Posts button at the bottom of this article for any inquiries into other aricles written this week.
Colts Rushing Offense
|Left End||Left Tackle||Left Guard||Up the Middle||Right Guard||Right Tackle||Right End|
|Plays: 8||Plays: 12||Plays: 3||Plays: 33||Plays: 4||Plays: 11||Plays: 17|
|NFL Rank: 24||NFL Rank: 14||NFL Rank: 29||NFL Rank: 10||NFL Rank: 27||NFL Rank: 20||NFL Rank: 3|
|Avg Gain: 3.13||Avg Gain: 3.42||Avg Gain: 3.67||Avg Gain: 3.82||Avg Gain: 1.50||Avg Gain: 3.18||Avg Gain: 3.12|
|NFL Rank: 26||NFL Rank: 23||NFL Rank: 14||NFL Rank: 20||NFL Rank: 28||NFL Rank: 21||NFL Rank: 28|
Colts Rushing Notes:
- Coming into he season the Kansas City Chiefs were said to have a weak defensive left side (offensive right side). Well, it looks like the first three KC opponents bought into that notion. Chiefs opponents have run directly at the offensive center 30 times (15th in NFL attempts) and 17 plays directly at the offensive guard (5th in NFL attempts). The surprising thing for the opponents however is that the Chiefs rank 10th and 17th in yards given up when teams have run at those areas.
- Other than running to the right side of the offensive line (left defensive side) the Colts really don't have much of a running tendency. We all know that the Colts live and die with Payton Manning and tend to use the running game as a supplement.
- According to the Chiefs stats, opponents are choosing not to run at Dorsey. Along with the fact that the Colts have a mild tendency to run right, look for the Colts to continue the trend of running up the gut with draws and to the right when trying to grind out yards (if the Colts ever really try and "grind" it out).
Colts Passing Offense
Avg Gain: 13.3NFL Rank: 11th
Avg Gain: 23.2NFL Rank: 5th
Avg Gain: 9.7NFL Rank: 11th
||MIDDLE SHORT||RIGHT SHORT
Avg Gain:5.9NFL Rank: 2nd
Avg Gain: 6.6NFL Rank: 5th
Avg Gain: 6.1NFL Rank: 11th
|Colts Passing Zone Frequency Chart
Colts Passing Notes:
- When it comes to the passing attack there is none better than Peyton Manning. The guy can get the ball to the one-on-one receiver at a phenomenal rate. It looks like he is not very good at passing to the short right...he is only 11th in the NFL (sarcasm).
- From the Chiefs perspective, it is probably better to look at what other teams have been doing to the Chiefs as apposed to what Peyton has done to his opponents. Manning is the type of quarterback that takes advantage of what defenses give him and other teams weak links.
- Chiefs opponents have passed the ball 43 times to the short right (Flowers side) and 12 times deep right, which is 6th most in the NFL (Flowers side). I guess teams don't buy into the fact that Flowers is the Chiefs best corner...or...the Chiefs are rotating coverage to the other side and leaving Flowers by himself more (which is probably more the case).
- When teams throw deep right (Flowers side) they are averaging 3.00 yards per catch. If the Chiefs keep leaving Flowers in man-to-man coverage more often than not then don't be surprised if teams keep testing him. But if the results from the past three Chiefs opponents is any indication on how successful those passes will be...don't expect many fireworks for the opponents.
- That 43 times short right that was quoted above is 15th in the NFL and 13 more times than opponents are throwing the ball to the short left. At first blush Chiefs fans might be surprised that the ball is being thrown much more often to Flowers side of the field. But again, if Flowers is in man coverage more often and the Chiefs defense is rotation coverages more towered Carr then teams might be banking on running Flowers off and getting underneath routes to his side. Sometimes teams have problems with this philosophy when the Chiefs run a zone and Flowers takes the flats resulting in a pic six (aka, game).
Click On " Bewsaf Past Posts " for more past articles
|*The Kansas City Chiefs And The Other Qualities||*Chiefs vs 49ers - Breaking Down The O-Line Tape|