HOUSTON - OCTOBER 17: Quarterback Matt Cassel #7 of the Kansas City Chiefs throws passes during warm ups before playing the Houston Texans at Reliant Stadium on October 17 2010 in Houston Texas. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)
There are many factors that go into why teams score points in the NFL. One of those factors is the staring field position on each drive. The further away a team is from the end zone the less likely they are to keep a drive going long enough to score.
Against the Kansas City Chiefs demonstrated a more dynamic offense and scored on five out of ten possessions. By far the best output of the season.the
Here are some interesting observations regarding field position scoring.
- The Chiefs started from zone 4 seven times and scored on five of those drives. The Chiefs recorded 15 yards or more in 4 of those five scoring possessions and a 14 yard play in the other.
- The Chiefs started from zone 5 three times against the Texans and failed to score in all three possessions. KC has yet to score when starting from zone 5.
- In the field position battle...the Chiefs moved the ball at least one zone 9 out of the 10 times they took possession.
Let's check out the rest of the numbers.
81-99 yards (zone 5)
61-80 yards (Zone 4)
41-60 yards (Zone 3)
21-40 yards (Zone 2)
- The NFL averages are only approximates since I have grouped the starting field position into zones.
Scoring by Field Position: Zone 5 Comments:
The Chiefs have been through 5 games now and have yet to score from zone 5. This has become such a problem that it might be time to start looking at those play selections to see if anything useful can be discerned from the data. When the league average is around 12-15% and your team is scoring the goose egg...It's time to break down the data.
- In the 14 attempts from zone 5 the Chiefs have had 2 INTs and 1 failed fourth down attempt. Two of those three were in field goal range.
- When starting from zone 5 the Chiefs have had 6 out of 14 possessions end with a 3 and out.
- In possessions in which the Chiefs traveled at least two zones when starting from zone 5: 1) Texans Game (twice): Matt Cassel had at least one 15 yard passing play in each possession that moved the ball more than one zone. 2) Game (twice): Matt Cassel had at least one 15 yard passing play in each possession that moved the ball more than one zone. 3) Game (twice): Matt Cassel had a 15 yard passing play in one and Charles had two runs of 15 yards or more in the other.
Looking at the above information it would appear that the Chiefs scoring problems from zone 5 is tied to the passing game and the number of successes down the field. It is no surprise that coordinators are hesitant when deep in their own territory for fear of turning the ball over and giving the other team some easy points. So winning the field position battle is first priority. However, if the Chiefs want to score more (or at all) from zone 5 they are going to have to throw that ball a little more down field.
Scoring by Field Position: Zone 4 Comments:
- The Chiefs have increased their scoring percentage form zone 4 to 18%. It does wonders to the averages by just having one good game. The Chiefs scored from zone 4 five out of seven attempts (one being a field goal).
- Against the Texans, the Chiefs moved the ball more than one zone 6 out of 7 possessions. You can't ask for more from an offense in regard to winning the field position battle.
Scoring by Field Position: Zone 3 Comments:
- This is the second week in a row that the Chiefs did not have any possessions that started from zone 3.
- With the acquisition of McCluster and Arenas you would think that the Chiefs would get at least one possession a game from zone 3. So far...a two week dry spell. This is Bewsaf calling out the return team for the Jags game.
Other interesting stats based on field position:
- The Chiefs won the time of possession battle by holding onto the ball 33:28 to the Texans 26:32.
Click On "Bewsaf Past Posts" for more past articles
|*Chiefs vs Colts - Breaking Down The O-Line Tape||*2010 NFL Stats: A Look At Time Of Possession After 4 Weeks|