HOUSTON - SEPTEMBER 02: Wide receiver Dorin Dickerson #19 of the Houston Texans makes a one handed catch in the fourth quarter against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as safety Vince Anderson #37 moves in on the play at Reliant Stadium on September 2 2010 in Houston Texas. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)
The Kansas City Chiefs play their second game of a two week road trip this Sunday against the Houston Texans. The KC defense will be presented with the task of stopping the high powered offense led by Matt Schaub.
Every team in the NFL has strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, and go-to guys. They have plays they like to call during tight situations or directions they like to run when in the middle of the football field.
Let's take a look at those Houston play direction tendencies.
Please refer to the Bewsaf Past Posts bar at the bottom of this article for any inquiries into other aricles written this week.
Texans Rushing Offense
|Left End||Left Tackle||Left Guard||Up the Middle||Right Guard||Right Tackle||Right End|
|Plays: 18||Plays: 17||Plays: 11||Plays: 20||Plays: 15||Plays: 28||Plays: 23|
|NFL Rank: 10||NFL Rank: 13||NFL Rank: 15||NFL Rank: 28||NFL Rank: 10||NFL Rank: 2||NFL Rank: 2|
|Avg Gain: 4.22||Avg Gain: 3.59||Avg Gain: 7.64||Avg Gain: 5.30||Avg Gain: 10.73||Avg Gain: 3.00||Avg Gain: 7.43|
|NFL Rank: 23||NFL Rank: 24||NFL Rank: 3||NFL Rank: 5||NFL Rank: 2||NFL Rank: 22||NFL Rank: 4|
Texans Rushing Notes:
- When running the ball, the Texans are 2nd in the NFL in the number of attempts ran toward the right tackle and right end (left defensive side). They are also successful when running toward their right tackle: Ranked 4th in the NFL.
- In the past few games I suggested that teams would test Shaun Smith, and they did. However, since that time teams have found that the Chiefs are a little stingy when it comes to testing Shaun Smiths side of the formation. The Chiefs rank 2nd in the NFL when teams run at our left defensive end (Shaun Smith): only giving up 1.89 yards per rush.
- Currently the trend is for teams to attack the Chiefs right up the middle or at the right guard: attacking KC 40 times (10th NFL) and 23 times (4th NFL) respectfully.
- Based on the Texans success, the Chiefs can expect Houston to run a few times toward the offensive right tackle and right end...just to see how stingy the Chiefs really are. If they don't have much success then look for those up the gut plays that everyone else is trying to run on the Chiefs.
Texans Passing Offense
Avg Gain: 5.6NFL Rank: 25th
Avg Gain: 15.6NFL Rank: 1st
Avg Gain: 9.7NFL Rank: 32nd
||MIDDLE SHORT||RIGHT SHORT
Avg Gain: 6.4
Avg Gain: 7.2NFL Rank: 3rd
Avg Gain: 5.1NFL Rank: 30th
|Texans Passing Zone Frequency Chart
Texans Passing Notes:
- If not throwing the ball to the right side of the field is not a tendency...then I don't know a tendency when I see one. The Texans rank 30th and 32nd in attempts toward the right side of the field.
- Expect the Texans to get the ball to the middle of the field. Houston ranks 3rd in the NFL in attempts to the short middle and 1st in the NFL in attempts to the deep middle.
- After four games the Chiefs opponents have attacked the deep middle of the field only 6 times, or 24th most in attempts against any team in the NFL. Where have teams been trying to attack the Chiefs the most when it comes to the long ball...deep right. At first blush Chiefs fans might think...what? That's Flowers over there. But after understanding that the Chiefs have rotated coverage to strengthen the middle and left sides of the field it becomes clear. Teams are attacking the one-on-one coverage. And guess what...opponents have only gotten 2.57 yards per catch average when going to the Chiefs deep right. That's good coverage.
- The Texans have a dilemma, throw the ball into rotated coverage...or...throw to the right side of the field where they really haven't attack with much consistency this year. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Click On " Bewsaf Past Posts " for more past articles
|*KC Chiefs vs Texans: Analyzing Houston's Play Preference Tendencies||*Kansas City Chiefs Scoring By Field Position - Week 5|