I really can't believe it's Thursday already this week. Maybe Raider week flies by? I need to remember that for November 15th when the Kansas City Chiefs play the Raiders again. Isn't it odd that we play the Raiders twice before we play the Broncos once?
Anyway, from our trusty media guide for this weekend's game, we have some notable current Kansas City Chief/Oakland Raider connections for you.
Chiefs S Jarrad Page is a native of Oakland, CA and prepped at San
Leandro High School in San Leandro, CA.
- Oakland QBs coach Paul Hackett served ﬁve seasons as offensive
coordinator with Kansas City (’93-97).
Raiders player personnel man Keith Rowen served as tight ends
coach with Kansas City (’99-04).
- Raiders CB Chris Johnson spent time with Kansas City in 2006.
- Oakland LB Thomas Howard is the son of former Chiefs LB
Thomas Howard (’87-88).
- Kansas City QB Matt Guiterrez is a native of Concord, CA and
prepped at DeLaSalle High School.
- Chiefs T Ryan O'Callaghan played collegiately at California.
- Raiders strength and conditioning coach Brad Roll served in a
similar capacity at the University of Kansas (’87-88).
- Kansas City football operations asst. Tom Caracciolo is the brother
of Oakland football operations man Pete Caracciolo.
- KC Executive Director of Player Development Lamonte Winston
played and coached at San Francisco State and is in the school’s HOF
And for more conversation this morning, I've put some of the teams' previous connections after the jump. Warning: Some of these hurt.
- Quarterback Rich Gannon, whom was the Chiefs' starting quarterback in the late 1990s signed with the Raiders for the 1999 season and two years later was named NFL MVP.
- Wide receiver Andre Rison played for the Chiefs before getting cut prior to the 2000 NFL season. He signed with Oakland later that year.
- Running back Marcus Allen played for the Raiders in Los Angeles and led the Raiders to victory in Super Bowl XVIII. Allen signed with the Chiefs for the 1993 season after a feud with Raider Managing General Partner Al Davis became public. Allen later reportedly asked to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of the Chiefs, even though unlike the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the Pro Football Hall of Fame doesn't induct players on a certain team.
- Former Chiefs head coach and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham spent four years with the Los Angeles Raiders (1991-1994) as the team's defensive coordinator. He joined the Chiefs in 1995.
- Cornerback Albert Lewis and running back Harvey Williams started their careers in Kansas City but were both traded to the Raiders in 1994.