All updated - Saturday AM
Wow, that feels awesome to say!
The initial reports on today's afternoon practice are light, considering Bob Gretz is in Canton, OH, for Derrick Thomas' Hall of Fame induction instead of on the practice field in River Falls.
Of course, the big news is that Tyson Jackson is in River Falls. I'm sure we'll hear from Jackson very soon about his first training camp practice as a Kansas City Chief.
Pictures, video and more quotes to come in a bit. After the jump, updates on this afternoon's practice which we will update as more info comes in.
- Looks like Coach Haley is going to give the guys a break. The shoulder pads are coming off (except for QBs) and the rest of practice will be helmets-only. Big scrimmage tomorrow…gotta stay fresh. (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- Head Coach Todd Haley was graced by the presence of his parents today at the afternoon practice. Dick and Carolyn Haley watched proudly from the sidelines as their son directed the team. (UW-RF)
- At the end of practice, linebacker Tamba Hali spent quite a long time signing autographs for fans. (UW-RF)
- WR Amani Toomer caught a nice deep ball during combination routes with the LBs and DBs. (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- Bowe didn’t come back to the ball, and cornerback Brandon Carr was able to swat the pass out of the air. Fans on the west fence line weren’t impressed with Bowe’s performance, as they hollered, “Come on, D. Bowe!” Later, safety Bernard Pollard picked off another Cassel pass. (UW-RF)
- During the 11-on-11 “Team Run” drill, running back Jamaal Charles had two big runs. (UW-RF)
- Tight end Brad Cottam had a diving catch in the middle of the field to complete the play off a quarterback Brodie Croyle throw. (UW-RF)
- Jackson began with the first unit defense to start the team run period. (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- Cornerback Brandon Flowers knocked down a pass that was intended for receiver Bobby Engram, by making a quick, athletic play. (UW-RF)
- The play of the session came when rookie cornerback Donald Washington knocked down quarterback Tyler Thigpen’s last-second heave toward the endzone. (UW-RF)
- Punter Dustin Colquitt shanked a punt during the team’s punting drill today. The punt hardly traveled more than 20 yards.
- LB Mike Vrabel joins fellow LBs Monty Beisel and Zach Thomas on the list of backers not participating this afternoon. (Josh Looney at the Mothership)
- Cornerback DaJuan Morgan and linebackers Mike Vrabel, Demorrio Williams, Zach Thomas and Monty Beisel were not at practice. (UW-RF)
- Running back Kolby Smith and guard Wade Smith were inactive for yet another practice. (UW-RF)